cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill server must be re-registered after Pro/E upgrade. Local cache is lost.

gchampoux
1-Newbie

Windchill server must be re-registered after Pro/E upgrade. Local cache is lost.

I'm getting ready to upgrade our users from Wildfire 3 to Wildfire 5 (CE Pro 5).

When launching WF5 for the first time, I'm getting a pop-up error "The server is not supportted."
I find that I must delete the registerred Windchill server and register it again.
Afterward, anything that was previously leftover in the local cache from Wildfire 3 is gone.
All I see is whatever is on the server-side workspace.

Will I have to inform my users that they must upload or check-in their work before upgrading to WF5?

Is this actually neccessary?
Why can't WF5 use the cache from WF3?

Gerry

2 REPLIES 2
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:gchampoux)

On 08/29/11 12:49, Gerry Champoux wrote:
> I'm getting ready to upgrade our users from Wildfire 3 to Wildfire 5 (CE Pro 5).
>
> When launching WF5 for the first time, I'm getting a pop-up error "The server is not supportted."
> I find that I must delete the registerred Windchill server and register it again.
> Afterward, anything that was previously leftover in the local cache from Wildfire 3 is gone.
> All I see is whatever is on the server-side workspace.
>
> Will I have to inform my users that they must upload or check-in their work before upgrading to WF5?
>
> Is this actually neccessary?
> Why can't WF5 use the cache from WF3?

Check out the following TPI:
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:gchampoux)

ALWAYS clean and delete all workspaces when doing any upgrade between versions.
This includes Wildfire upgrades and Windchill upgrades.
PTC also recommends that workspaces be deleted before upgrades.
When we went from WF3 to WF4, I sent all the users a guide on how to do the upgrade. This included not only deleting all workspaces from IE, but un registering the server and deleting the Windchill cache folder from their computer hard drive.

I always recommend that my users delete their workspaces monthly to keep any issues of corruption from affecting their work. If workspaces get to large, they can become corrupted easier.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
Top Tags