cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill structure incorrect when instances used in ProE

SwapnilKadu
1-Newbie

Windchill structure incorrect when instances used in ProE

I have created one ProE assembly say ASM and checked in to Windchill. To this assembly there is a WTPart attached/associated.

The ProE assembly has a structure as follows where A is for assembly and P is for part;

ASM

|

|------- A1

|------- A2

|------- P1

|------- P2

The ProE assembly has a corresponding WTPart structure as all the assemblies and parts are associated with respective WTParts.

Now the assemblies A1 and A2 have family table instances as follows;

1. A1 --> A11, A12, A13;
  2. A2 --> A21, A22, A23.

For assemblies A1 and A2 when we check the association with the WTPart then A1 & A2 are the ‘owners’ and the family instances are the ‘content’.

When I use the instance in my ProE assembly i.e the ‘content’ then in Windchill for the ASM structure the WTPart for the instance part is not present. It means whenever I use ‘content’ part in the ProE assembly the Windchill structure is wrong as the WTPart for the instance is missing from the Windchill structure.

Does anyone know what is the reason behind this and how can I resolve the issue?

When the 'owner' is used in ProE assembly then the corresponding Windchill structure is correct.

3 REPLIES 3

Hi

Why dont you create WT part for the instances?

If you are using different instances in the same assembly; how can you identify the quantity of the individual ?

Regards

K.Mahanta

Thank you Kshetrabasi for your reply.

When different instances are used in ProE then generating the BOM using Repeat regions gives the correct quantity.

Our company has got sites all over the world. So wherever a specific part will be maufactured that site will create a WTPart (Master) and classify it. So when other sites have to use that part in their assemblies then they will create a local ProE part or an instance and attach it to the Master WTPart. Thus the newly attached part becomes the content and the original part is owner.

In this case when the other site creates an assembly with the 'content' part the Windchill structure is correct 1st time but when it is checked out and checked back in then the structure has the WTPart for the 'content' missing.

Hope I am clear in stating the query.

Hi

check this document

http://communities.ptc.com/community/windchill/blog/2011/05/05/new-associations-for-cad-documents-to-parts-in-pdmlink

As per this document the contents do not drive product structure

Content

This association is “passive,” meaning that the CAD document describes the part but does not drive structure, pass attributes, nor provide a representation (that is, it is not a build rule link).

Typical Usage Scenario - Manufacturing objects, process plans, layouts, etc.

Sorry but

I dont have a solution for you

(It might be possible

But the experts only can say)

Regards

K.Mahanta

Top Tags