cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Word document rename question

JMSCRA
1-Newbie

Word document rename question

I renamed a word document in PDMLink 9.1. When I did that the "name" was changed but the 'file name' and "primary content" number did not change. When I download the file the name of the word file, if you were to save it locally, is the same as the "file name" and the "primary content' number. Is there any way to get all of these numbers/names to be the same? I do not understand what replacing the content of these entities does but it sounds as though that may be the cure. I not want to lose the revieion history of the files I need to rename.

Thanks,

John Scranton

2 REPLIES 2
blehman
1-Newbie
(To:JMSCRA)

John,

Whether you "Checkout and Edit" the WTDocument or do a "Replace Content" on the WTDocument, the Name of the Primary Content will update with thename of the fileyou upload from your local disk. In order to get the Name and Number of the WTDocument to update you will either have to do that in yourEdit screenor use the "Rename" action in the Actions menu. If your goal is to have this done automatically, when replacing content, thenthat would entail a customization to the out of the box actions to do more than what they already do.

Brandon Lehman, PLM Consultant

brandon.lehman@stechservices.com

RussPratt
5-Regular Member
(To:JMSCRA)

John, you need to be clearly aware of the difference between the Document Object "Name" and the file name(s) of its Content.

The Doc Object Name is a "master" value, and will be the same for every version (revision and iteration) of the Object. The Content file name simply represents the actual file name of the uploaded file. This may well be different from version to version. The default behavior when you first create an Object is to assign the content file name as the object name, but it can be changed (and should be if you have the common habit of compressing file names and embedding versioning info into your file names (as in. MyDesignSpec_R1.docx).

Russ

Top Tags