cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Workflow / Lifecycle assistance

tcasola
1-Newbie

Workflow / Lifecycle assistance

Let me start off by saying I have NO programming/code writing experience (except for basic html/xhtml). While I have been the Business Administrator for over 8 years, and now I have been tasked to become the Workflow/Lifecycle Administrator.

This is a foreign world for me. I have tried reading all of the PTC Workflow/Lifecycle documentation, and gone through the exercises but it’s still clear as mud to me.

I am able to create a basic Notification workflow, but I still don’t understand what I am doing. My biggest issue is not having a resource to ask questions or explain WHAT I JUST DID.

I am looking for some suggestions/resources (articles, books, classes, sites, etc) that may help clarify configuring/creating Workflow/Lifecycle.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

I attended a PTC course on workflow some years back. It covered most of what you will ever need, but stopped short on custom expressions. I presume this course is still available? worth checking.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:tcasola)

I completely understand what you feel. I was absolutely terrified of workflows when I first started supporting PDM core functionality. 🙂

Since there can be a fair bit of coding involved (especially if you're using workflow expressions to figure out where to route things/how to update objects), a basic Java programming course may be useful here.

The PTC course would be helpful.

I assume that when you said you'd gone through all the PTC documentation you were referring to the Workflow Administration section in the manuals and Online Help, right? I'm not sure exactly what information you're looking for, but there are also a plethora of articles that have been written providing examples for various types of workflow actions/expressions/etc.:

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/search/search.jsp?q=workflow+how+to

Top Tags