cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Workflow just stopped working after 6 months!!!!!

BuddyHudson
1-Newbie

Workflow just stopped working after 6 months!!!!!

I have no clue if anyone can shed any light on this situation I am having, but here it goes. We have a custom lifecycle that was applied to all of our objects in the database. A workflow is used to change the state of the object to "Under Approval" once it has been submitted in a promotion request. Today, it just all of the sudden stopped doing this. WTF! Now comes the tech support scramble to get someone on the phone to try and tell me what happened. If anyone out there has an idea I would like to hear it SOON!

Thanks to all in advance,

Buddy Hudson

4 REPLIES 4

1. The product data (not the Promotion Request) Lifecycle has an optional LOCK transition that is evidently in place. The tranisition is applied independently from each state so it might use LOCK going from state1 to state2 but not from state2 to state3 via Promote.

2. The LOCK transition is responsible for temporarily setting the product data objects on the promotion request to the state selected for the LOCK transition, at which you're supposed to configure such that no user has Modify permission. It's hard coded that if the Promotion Request is approved, the product data goes to the requested target state; if rejected, the product data returns to the original state.

3. My guess is that the lifecycle for the product data items has multiple iterations (take a look at the LC iterations and compare them) and one or more iterations of it are configured without one or more LOCK transitions. Likely the data that you're experiencing this with was created before the LC was updated. Need to look at the LC iteration assigned to data that shows this vs. data that does not. Then - need to re-assign Lifecycle to the Latest iteration for all product data items affected (more on this if this turns out to be the case).

Cut and Paste from your description from your problem statement: "We have a custom lifecycle that was applied to all of our objects in the database.".

Suggest you also check the OIR that was created for these objects, and verify the lifecycle did not change. The response above is "right on"... Still; suggest you verify the OIR is the same and the lifecycle assigned to these objects did not change.

Also, was there a maintenance release applied to your WC system?

Question, what version of Windchill and maint release are you using? Thanks.

Mike L, thanks for the feedback. Michael we are on Windchill 10.1 M020, but are upgrading to 10.1 very soon. M020 is riddled with issues it seems, and most of the support staff know this is the case. Pardon the pun. There answer from today was to simply restart the services on the apps server, then reboot the database. They were right because all was fine after that. Still never told me why it happened. Just glad it works now.

Thanks again,

Buddy Hudson

A little late for me to reply, but next time (if there is a next time) your workflows stop executing, check your queues and make sure that they are running/enabled/started/no errors/etc.

Top Tags