cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

batch rename files

gboterman
1-Newbie

batch rename files

I started using Windchill using SolidWorks.

All my files have logic describing file names e.g. like cover, seal, top plate, bearing, etc.

When I open my assembly (from outside the workspace) and I save these in the PTC workspace, all files show their original file name under 'Filename', 'Name' and 'Number'.

If I open a new part in workspace the file name and number is called WDPnnnnnn.SLDPRT (nnnnnnn a six digit number)

Is there a quick way to have Windchill rename & assign Windchill file names + numbers proper number to my files, while leaving the name as it?

Having to file rename and renumber by hand, hundreds of files, does not seem the right way.

Can anyone explain please? Thanks, Gerard

7 REPLIES 7
bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:gboterman)

My company does have a batch rename tool for EPMDocuments that, while initially developed for Creo files, should also work for SolidWorks with some testing to verify, as it renames the EPMDocument within Windchill as opposed to an external file outside of the system.  It can update any or all of number, name, or filename.  It is run as a server-side command-line utility, and support batch renaming via CSV file as an input.

Feel free to reach out to me via e-mail at robert.sindelar@eccellent.com if you are interested.

Hi Bob, thanks for your reply.

See my question below in regards to 'broken assemblies'.

The files I imports will not be checked in until ok and renamed. Would your renaming tool do this from a local PC, while logged into the server (workspace)?

I like to try it out, what would be involved please?

Kind regards, gerard.boterman@wdtl.com

Not advertising for them, but I have successfully used Fishbowl Solutions' Rename Utility for SolidWorks data.  All work is done in a spreadsheet which is read in using a simple command line.

Ref - My usage of it was for bringing in SW data from an acquired company.  Brought in all data in one shot to a test Windchill system.  Used Fishbowl Solutions' Rename Utility, and then their Revision Utility to bring to current Revision.  Then created WTParts, exported all using the Windchill Export/Import utility and imported all to production Windchill using WindchillExport/Import utility.

Hi Mike,

See my question below in regards to 'broken assemblies'.

Exploring options, I guess this is commercial software?

I tried the Windchill import option (instructions pages 80-82 of the 'Windchill Workgroup Manager for SolidWorks Administrator and User Guide' in the hope it would assign the proper numbers, unfortunately is imports all three columns 'Filename', 'Name' and 'Number' with the original file names. (disappointing)

As you probably know, with Solidworks assemblies, as soon as one renames a part, it usually results in broken assemblies (unless having the files open or using SW Explorer)

If I use any of the spreadsheet (or CVS) renaming utilities recommended above, will the relations be maintained please?

Does PTC Windchill not have a proper 'import' utility for batch importing/re-naming and adding PTC Windchill numbers?

The Windchill Rename function works perfectly, but only if all data is already inside - new files imported that "look" for old names will fail.

The 3rd party utility essentially just prepares the input for the existing Windchill Rename function - and is a great convenience.

Assignment of Number / Name is for new items but can't really be used for importing existing - that would break every CAD relationship.

rpassolt
5-Regular Member
(To:gboterman)

Gerard,

Fishbowl has solutions to solve these kinds of things or we can write a new App if needed.  These fall under out Data Clean Up Utilities family of Apps.

We have been doing a ton with Solidworks into Windchill the past 2 years as well... I'm busy on the 30th, but I will reach out Monday the 3rd.

Best regards,

Rick Passolt

Fishbowl Solutions

Some of our Apps are highlighted on our website...

Software for PTC Windchill and Creo - Fishbowl Solutions

Top Tags