cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

datafrond PLM-IN-A-BOX

avandenheuvel
1-Newbie

datafrond PLM-IN-A-BOX

I am in charge of implementing PDM/Windchill into our system and we have been advised (from PTC) to go with this pdm in a box solution offered by datafrond.

Does anybody have any feedback using this solution? or experience with it.

pros/cons

nightmares?

We are also working with high level engineering consultants that say they can configure themselves or at least assist in configuration.

In initial stages here and coming up with a cost study.

Just hoping to get some insight.

4 REPLIES 4

We have used Datafrond for some of our Windchill implementation and have evaluated the In-A-Box package; It didn't meet our needs, but it might meet yours.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: is that your business and CAD processes need to be fully defined. PLM IAB will not help you with this.

Also, you need to alocate about $500K for basic PDM implementation (CAD control and visualization) MINIMUM. I know this sounds outrageous, but we have already spent more than this on Software, hardware and consulting just for Windchill PDM implementation, and we are just a small company (~200 people) with one site, and only just beginning to scratch the surface of BOM functionality, Workflow development and ERP integration.

You will also need a dedicated staff to setup, tweak and maintain Windchill (not just during implementation); I would recommend 1 Windchill admin and 1 database admin minimum, completely dedicated only to Windchill.

Again, if you do not have your processes fully defined beforehand, you will spend a lot more $.

Domingo,

Thanks for your response and guidance. We are currently in the process of defining/re-defining our processes and best practise standards with outside help. The thought process is to have a well defined process going into PDM/PLM.

Most of our engineering staff is home grown and virtually none with PDM experience from other companies from and admin stand point so we are looking for all external advice we can get and experiences.

Initially, only looking at data management. Next steps will be to investigate BoM, Workflow and ERP int. respectively.

Thanks again for your response.

I have worked with Datafrond and the PLM In A Box solution. It has been a great fit for our company.

PLM-In-A-Box does an excellent job of addressing the complexities of PLM and is built around the traits of the WIndchill architecture that you can only learn from experience.

They have put together a solid package that is flexible and well designed. Do yourself a favor, speak with a reference. Don't be afraid to ask the hard questions.

Announcements

Top Tags