cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

file formats such as .igs and .stp with Windchill PDMLink 10

egifford
4-Participant

file formats such as .igs and .stp with Windchill PDMLink 10

Within a session of Pro/E Wildfire 4 attached to Windchill PDMLink 10, I have the option to save a copy of a CAD file in several formats, such as.igs or .stp, as an attachment to the source CAD Document, or as a separate file. If I create the separate file, it appears as its own line item and is identified in my workspace as a “CAD Document” with the appropriate icon (looks like a piece of paper with a drafting triangle adjacent to it). From that point I can control it just as a native Pro/E file (add to workspace, check-out, rev etc). On the flip side, when I receive a .stp or .igs file from a supplier or customer, there is no way to import it into my workspace to archive it as-supplied under an appropriate product and folder in PDMLink. I can go to Commonspace (Windchill Cabinets) browse to the product, folder etc, create a new document and load the supplied .igs or .stp file as the “Primary Content Source”. When doing this, the file is simply identified as a “Document” with an icon that looks like a page with text on it. If when created and pushed from Pro/E into the PLM system it properly identifies it as a CAD Document, why does the intelligence not exist when I essentially load the .igs or .stp file directly into PDMLink? Do I need to create a soft type? It would seem it already exists and is used when pushed from Pro/E. How do I get PDMLink to treat files of this type the same way no matter how I get it into the system?I want the look and feel of these files to be the same for my users no matter how it gets into PDMLink.

5 REPLIES 5
egifford
4-Participant
(To:egifford)

Turns out to be a very simple solution. Use the config.pro file option "allow_import_file_extension igs,stp" (specifying required file type extensions). Thanks goes out to Dan Wolf and Tom McNaney for quick replies with this solution.

Erik

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

allow_import_file_extension is a hidden option and NOT documented in the WF4 Configuration Options Help Topic guide.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

Ben I beg to differ with you, as you are incorrect. It is listed clearly not hidden on page 3. Granted it does not telly you exactly how to use it so with a little playing I discovered you must list the extensions you want to import seperated by a comma. I put these in my config as I will at sometime be importing these into our Windchill DB.

Allow_import_file_extension stl, stp, step, igs, iges, dxf, pdf, ai,
[cid:image001.png@01CD9D62.70F80270]

Ron
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Ron,

You must have a newer version than I have!
It is not listed in my copy dated December 2007.

Mine has allow_fully_dependent_copy and then allow_move_attach_in_dtl_move.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I just went to PTC.com and looked, the listing for Configuration Options for WF4 says 12-May-2009, but when the document opens, it is the December 2007 one that I have.
The Pre-Production WF5 listing is also dated 12-May-2009, but opens an October 2008 file without that option.
The WF5 production version listed as 3-Sep-2010, but actually dated August 2010 finally shows that option.

We pay maintenance for what?????

PTC always says to check the website for the latest documentation.
So, PTC, where do we go to get the latest and most up-to-date documentation?

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
Top Tags