cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

installing windchill 12.1 fails to create mdf file

apriori-it
4-Participant

installing windchill 12.1 fails to create mdf file

Getting this error installing 12.1: CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5(Access is denied.) while attempting to open or create the physical file 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\/windchill12_1.mdf'

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @apriori-it 

Have you ever read instalation guide? 

HelesicPetr_0-1671641651478.png

The PSI do not support to install your second Windchill DB to the existing one. 

I can imagine that you install it to an another instance and move the new database to existing one after Windchill is installed. but I can not recommand it.  

PetrH

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

This looks like the user running the SCU does not have permissions. Similar to below support case. Make sure to run as administrator.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS304199

Thank you @SWeiler_9940261  But the user has full permissions on the folder and is able to create/add files to this location manually. I wonder if that "\/" in the path is the cause of an error. But can't find to get this path corrected.

@apriori-it 

it does not matter that user has a permission.

You need to run it as administrator .

Also check the database service account

check if the account has access that is used for running database  

Today I has experience that the service account is different then usual and it needs to be changed.

PetrH

@HelesicPetr thank you, the user is an admin on the host, we have tried to run the script from the escalated cmd (there is no option to run it as admin). We are using same account we used to install the previous version on windchill on this host.

apriori-it
4-Participant
(To:apriori-it)

there is another detail to our installation: we already have a previous version installed on the same host and are trying to add another user to the database. i wonder if this is even doable 

apriori-it
4-Participant
(To:apriori-it)

how do we have two tablespaces in one database.  In order to upgrade, ptcs customers have to be able to so something like what i am doing so that they can make the old / new database conversion.  I cannot believe that we need to install a separate server or separate database application.

Hi @apriori-it 

Have you ever read instalation guide? 

HelesicPetr_0-1671641651478.png

The PSI do not support to install your second Windchill DB to the existing one. 

I can imagine that you install it to an another instance and move the new database to existing one after Windchill is installed. but I can not recommand it.  

PetrH

@HelesicPetr  thank you, that explains our failures!

Top Tags