cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

java.lang.StackOverflowError occurs when GUI loads

VINO
3-Visitor

java.lang.StackOverflowError occurs when GUI loads

In my windchill 10.2 M020 server whenever I open view details page of any object I'm getting the

following error.

2015-02-19 14:06:42,789 ERROR [ajp-bio-8010-exec-1] wt.method.MethodContextMonitor.contexts.servletRequest wcadmin - 2015-02-19 13:06:41.941 +0000, 1hgekpi;i6c5sk1g;9604;ybvxu7;1254, -, -, 1hgekpi;i6c5sk1g;9604;ybvxu7;1250, wcadmin, 192.168.100.86, -, -, com.ptc.core.command.server.delegate.entity.PrepareEntityCommandDelegate+com.ptc.core.command.server.delegate.entity.RetrievePersistentEntityCommandDelegate+com.ptc.core.query.command.server.AttributeContainerQueryCommandDelegate+com.ptc.core.foundation.vc.server.impl.NewIterationCommandDelegate, 0, 36, 0.087489733, 10, 0.028366402, 0.6864044, 0.847310627

org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Handler processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.StackOverflowError

at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.triggerAfterCompletionWithError(DispatcherServlet.java:1259)

at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:945)

at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:856)

at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:936)

at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet.java:838)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:641)

at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:812)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)

at wt.httpgw.filter.WTContextBeanFilter.doWithWtContextBeanHandler(WTContextBeanFilter.java:98)

at wt.httpgw.filter.WTContextBeanFilter.doFilter(WTContextBeanFilter.java:58)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)

at wt.servlet.CompressionFilter.doFilter(CompressionFilter.java:249)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)

at wt.servlet.RequestInterrupter.doFilter(RequestInterrupter.java:335)

at wt.servlet.ServletRequestMonitor.doFilter(ServletRequestMonitor.java:1650)

at wt.servlet.ServletRequestMonitorFilter.doFilter(ServletRequestMonitorFilter.java:56)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:222)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:123)

And the method server getting stopped. This is an upgraded windchill and all the upgrade tasks have been completed successfully

and I executed WinDU tasks also. It doesn't shown any problem either. Please find the attached error log.

7 REPLIES 7
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:VINO)

While this is the top of error report, the interesting part with a stack overflow is generally the repeated portion of the stack:

at com.ptc.core.meta.container.common.impl.BasicAttributeContainer.get(BasicAttributeContainer.java:786)

at com.ptc.core.meta.container.common.impl.BasicAttributeContainer.get(BasicAttributeContainer.java:821)

at com.ptc.core.meta.container.common.AttributeContainerFunctionUtility.resolveArgument(AttributeContainerFunctionUtility.java:227)

at com.ptc.core.meta.container.common.AttributeContainerFunctionUtility.resolveArgument(AttributeContainerFunctionUtility.java:377)

at com.ptc.core.meta.container.common.LWCFormula.calculate(LWCFormula.java:74)

at com.ptc.core.meta.container.common.LWCFormula.calculate(LWCFormula.java:62)

at com.ptc.core.meta.container.common.impl.BasicAttributeContainer._get(BasicAttributeContainer.java:5535)

at com.ptc.core.meta.container.common.impl.BasicAttributeContainer.get(BasicAttributeContainer.java:786)

This portion of the call stack appears to repeat forever until the stack (which is finite) is exhausted. Is there any chance an LWC formula is corrupt in such a way that it has a circular reference, thus leading to infinite recursion?

[I'm no expert on LWC formulas -- I'm just going by what I see in the stack trace.]

VINO
3-Visitor
(To:jessh)

Okay. In that case how can I solve this issue.? Please give me some more inputs towards fixing this problem.

jessh
5-Regular Member

Well, as I said, I'm not an expert on LWC formulas. If you have specific LWC formulas that are likely involved in the display of the pages in question, then I'd endeavor to double check them.

And there's always technical support, of course. [I'm not a technical support engineer either.]

VINO
3-Visitor
(To:jessh)

Yeah that's okay. Yes it is always throwing that error when showing the object attributes and also in PSE.

I wonder it's a newly upgraded server and in the process of upgrade there was no such issues.

And this also the same error popping up in gui part.

Capture.JPG

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Vino,

I have seen this happen when a calculated attribute has the same name as what was specified in the "Formula" field. (calculated attribute name=mass and Formula=mass) This causes an infinite loop in the recursion and eventually leads to the method server crashing. Could that be what's happening here?

VINO
3-Visitor
(To:LoriSood)

Lori,

Yes that's what happening now exactly. How to solve this one?

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

You need to recreate the attribute with a different name than what is used for the formula in order to correct this.

Top Tags