cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

loadFromFile fails to add Active Directory users to a Windchill group

gchampoux
1-Newbie

loadFromFile fails to add Active Directory users to a Windchill group

I need to add many Active Directory users into various Windchill LDAP groups. (Intralink 9.1 M060)

As a test, I created my .csv file with one user (me):
UserGroup,,WI_Designers,gc1001,EnterpriseLdap

I then ran loadFromFile and it worked perfectly.
However, when I tried again with different users, it usually failed with this set of ambiguous error messages:

Error detected in createUserGroup <ab1234 wi_designers=">
Loader method wt.load.LoadUser.createUserGroup reported a failure
No objects were imported due to the error.
Unexpected problem in export/import process.
Nested exception is: wt.util.WTException: Loader method wt.load.LoadUser.createUserGroup reported a failure Error loading data from file.
data file = <d:\windchill_wi\loadfiles\wi_group_members.xml,d:\windchill_wi\loadfiles\wi_group_members.xml>
map file = <null,null>
token separator = <null,null>
method = <null,create>
user = <null>
Command line = <{CONT_PATH=/wt.inf.container.OrgContainer=Williams International}>
Unexpected problem in export/import process.
Nested exception is: wt.util.WTException: Loader method wt.load.LoadUser.createUserGroup reported a failure

With some experimenting, I discovered that the reason it worked for some AD users was that I had previously logged into WIndchill as that user or had manually added the user to a group (using the UI). In other words: Windchill already knew of the AD user. However, in each case where the above error occurred, it was a user that had never been "introduced" to Windchill. The user had never logged in, nor had been manually added any group.

What must I do to overcome this issue?

Gerry

7 REPLIES 7

I'm having the same issue when attempting to add a user or group to a role in a team of a context. I've already created a call with PTC a while back and they've just replied back with not having an issue with Windchill 9.1 M030. We are in production with Windchill PDMLink/ProjectLink 9.1 M050.

Let's see, you are on Pro/I 9.1 M060 and we're on Windchill 9.1 M050. It sounds like a build issue that broke the functionality.

Thanks to all the replied.
Unfortunately, we now know that this is not possible.

I submitted this issue to PTC as well.
They have confirmed that what I am trying to do is not possible.

An AD user cannot be added to a group using loadFromFile unless the AD user is already a wtuser.
This can happen only if the AD user has logged in at least once into Windowchil, or had been added to a group manually, through the UI.

I asked PTC if there was some way to add a list of AD users to the wtuser table.
They said no.

Hi all,

We're currently running 3.x with Wildfire 2, with plans to move to PDMLink 9.1/Wildfire 5. We'll use PDMLink the same way we used 3.x (revision control, release level control and promotion approvals), nothing more.
One of our divisions is currently using SolidWorks without a data management system, and is considering bringing in Agile EC (Engineering collaboration) to manage their SolidWorks data. Does anyone have any experience with Agile EC? Any comments on how well it works with ProE/SolidWorks? I hadn't heard of it and was curious as to what others may know.

Thanks,
Stefan

If you look under the covers...

User Accounts are created in LDAP; when each user logs on, a record is created in the database, in the WTUser table. The load file currently only can pull from the database.

So in other words he should load his AD users as an ldif file into the directory server he is using or get someone to configure a jndi adapter to talk directly to AD and map attributes as required.

When Apache is configured to auth against AD and method server knows how to search ldap for said user, it will create the wtuser entry in db automatically first login.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Good Day All!

We are contemplating having PDMLink manage SolidWorks data using the
SolidWorks integrator. I'm just wondering how many companies are actually
doing this, and if so how has it worked for you?

Jim

Jim Van Dragt
Product Development Systems Analyst/Developer - Lead
Information Technology
hermanmiller.com
616 654 5285 OFFICE
616 836 8394 MOBILE
HermanMiller

We use the SolidWorks WGM at iRobot. We have about 15-20 users of SW. We
have standardized on Pro/E, but still have legacy products on SW that we
still support.

The 9.x version of the Workgroup Manager is much better than it was in 8.0.
For our users that go between Pro/E and SW (which is most) they now have a
much more consistent experience, except that the WGM for the 3rd party cad
applications is an external application versus the embedded browser in
Pro/E.

Overall the users are satisfied with it, and we field very few support
issues around the tool.

Steve D.

Top Tags