cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

org admin undo check out - messes up workspaces

egifford
4-Participant

org admin undo check out - messes up workspaces

Windchill PDMLink 10.0 M030, Pro/E Wildfire 4 M220

Ran into this last week and can readily replicate the error.

Scenario 1:

As a CAD user, add to workspace and check out a family tablegeneric and all its instances. Optionally, make some modifications to the model(s).

Now log in to Windchill as that org's admin user, perform an "undo check out" on one or two of the instances.

Back as the user, refresh the corresponding workspace. The files that had the check out cancelled by the admin now show up in the workspace as new files with a naming conflict with the instances as they exist in commonspace.

Scenario 2:

As a CAD user, add to workspace and check out an average every day (non tabled model) model. Make some modifications and save the model. Now shows up in workspace as modified locally etc - as one would expect.

Log in to Windchill as that org's admin user, perform an "undo check out" on that file.

Go back to the user's corresponding workspace. The file is GONE. It's not sitting there modified locally with the check out cancelled, it has been removed from the workspace - work is lost.

I've opened a call with PTC and their response to scenario 1 is to select the problem files and do a File - Update. This does work and reconnects the instances. However they have not come back with a solution for Scenario 2.

Has anyone else seen this? Am I misunderstanding what an admin "undo check out" should do? Shouldn't it just cancel the user's check out status and leave the file alone in their workspace?

Regards,

Erik Gifford

4 REPLIES 4
egifford
4-Participant
(To:egifford)

Another user replied directly with this observation about how admin undo checkout works in Windchill 9.1 M060.

Admin undo checkout of an object that is modified and uploaded

- Object will be removed from user's workspace (both server side and local cache) therefore

- In workspace Check out the object and refresh the workspace browser - It will now be marked checked out and modified in Workspace

*Note that if this modification is checked in it is a force checkin which means it won't include any modifications made by others after the admin undo checkout

Hi Erik,

I opened a case about this issue with ptc last year.
The related my case to SPR 1669774 and conclusion was 'Reported to R&D as SPR 1669774. Resolution: Not part of Windchill PDMlink functionality.'
During some discussion this was set as 'intended functionality'...
Some strange intended functionality if you ask me.

Kind regards,

Frederic

egifford
4-Participant
(To:egifford)

Intended functionality / works to product specification - nice. PTC might want to change it to make removal of the object from the user's workspace an option instead of the default behavior, or at least change the name of the command.

Here is the wording from PTC (attached). Basically, use the admin "undo check out" cautiously as it is actually "cancel check out and remove from the workspace of user that had it checked out"

I've created a Product Idea under Windchill on the PTC Community page to have this function changed. http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/3311

Erik

Oh that line "Intended Functionality" when applied to bugs drives me crazy!

Maybe next admin checkout will actually undo the check out. I am going to try and go find your product idea to vote on it, but you may want ot include the hyperlink to it for easier funding.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
Top Tags