cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

setting up DFS(Distributrd File Server Worker)

ManojC
1-Newbie

setting up DFS(Distributrd File Server Worker)

Hi,

could you please explain architecture of DFS worker or any pointer to this topics would be helpful.

some pros and cons about this architecture.

3 REPLIES 3
tswett
12-Amethyst
(To:ManojC)

The Windchill Help Center has some good starting points for you. Replace "<HOST>" with your Windchill URL installation path to send you to the right place.

This is assuming you have WC10.1 (as my site does). If not, I would do a Support site search or a WHC search for "setting up distributed file server worker".

http://<host>/Windchill-WHC/index.jspx?id=ConfigDistributeFileServerWork&action=show

PatrickMooij
4-Participant
(To:tswett)

I noticed that if you use DFS then the decision where to publish is made when worker starts with the job/in workerQueue.

So, in my case the sync from replication to master already happened before the document from remote was published, resulting in publish on master instead of remote. So loosing all benefits from DFS.

It would be nice to use different queue's for different locations.

Anybody experience with using/modifying PublishJobUtil.java from CS132318 so that the current location (master/remote) is retrieved and assign remote files to separate Queues?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ManojC)

In case you haven't seen these already:

I can say from experience that if you don't have a cad worker at the remote site, upon check-in the files will be copied across the WAN for publishing (directly to the cad worker), then copied across the WAN again later during replication.

Based on Patrick's comments above, it sounds like a product idea needs to be created for Windchill to choose the nearest cad worker (based on where the object is currently located) when publishing starts executing instead of at the time the queue entry was first created (ready).

Top Tags