cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

what are vaults in windchill, why are these needed though we have database to store all the data?

SModugu
12-Amethyst

what are vaults in windchill, why are these needed though we have database to store all the data?

why are vaults required in windchill though we have a database set up for windchill for storing the data including CAD models and files.

what are vaults and Database? what stores in vaults and what stores in database? please explain in details.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:SModugu)

I do not think the database or BLOBs table is the most efficient place to store binary files. Vaults are preferred. BLOBS has I've seen in was always used as a backup incase there is an issue with the vaults where it cannot write files. Eventually via revaulting, the content is copied out of BLOBS to the vaults per the vaulting rules.  

Database should be for meta data. Object names, numbers, link data, text blocks, filenames and other details. Vaults are where file uploads, including configuration files like templates are stored.

More Info here: https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.2.0/en/#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FfilevaultChp_About.html%23

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

I do not think the database or BLOBs table is the most efficient place to store binary files. Vaults are preferred. BLOBS has I've seen in was always used as a backup incase there is an issue with the vaults where it cannot write files. Eventually via revaulting, the content is copied out of BLOBS to the vaults per the vaulting rules.  

Database should be for meta data. Object names, numbers, link data, text blocks, filenames and other details. Vaults are where file uploads, including configuration files like templates are stored.

More Info here: https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.2.0/en/#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FfilevaultChp_About.html%23

Great explanation. so, there must be a communication between Vaults and Database if incase user tries to access any document, it should also pull the info like meta data that is stored in Database and actual file from vaults simultaneously.

what would be the common point that it pulls the right info from both parties when user tries to check out a drawing?

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Yes, Windchill has tables in the database which it uses to track where the files are in the vault. Its complicated but if you looked at the vaults, you would not recognize anything as they filenames are just a HEX hash. The image below gives you a sense of table structure and complexity on the database side to keep track of what files below to what object. Remember that your not checking out files, you are checking out objects, whether that object is a CAD Document or a WTDocument. Each of those have content and are content holders. Their related attachments and primary files are what goes into the vaults.

avillanueva_0-1670420879781.png

This structure allows for more complicated setups like remote cache vaults for distance sites far from the main Database. This is necessary since it takes less time to transmit meta data rather than large, binary files like CAD data across a WAN.

Thanks for the detailed elaboration.

But I regret for not understanding the actual difference between CAD document and WTDocument.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

The CAD document is the actual Creo file. The WtDocument is a place holder for the CAD document and other related activities, change request, change notice, attaching supporting documents, etc.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

The database knows which file in the vault is connected to the file name and its metadata in the DB.

The DB also keeps track of file relations and dependencies. If you open a drawing of an assembly from Windchill in Creo, the drawing, the assembly and all components of the assembly are loaded into your working session. These files are also downloaded to your local workspace.

In Windchill, there are 3 areas for file 'storage'. Commonspace where the files have been checked into and everyone, with proper permissions, can see the latest work. There is a server-side workspace that is the intermediate storage between local workspace and commonspace. Finally, there is your local workspace where files are stored while being worked on. When you do a save in Creo, the file is ONLY saved to your local workspace. You can do an upload and that will put a copy of the file in the server-side workspace. When you do a Check-In, the file is put in the commonspace. All of these actions save files in the vaults or cache vaults. Removing Unreferenced files will remove old files that Windchill no long needs to maintain in the file vaults.

SModugu
12-Amethyst
(To:BenLoosli)

So we cannot directly go to vault and open any CAD file and we don't even recognize what file extension it is, right?

If yes, it is inevitable that we need both parties in place?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

The file vault's file naming is a hexadecimal hashed number and bears no relation to your part number except in the database which has a table that points your number to the hash number.

You can open a file from the vault in a text editor (Notepad, Wordpad, etc.) and the file name is in the file. Do not actually edit the file or save it, just look!

SModugu
12-Amethyst
(To:BenLoosli)

Thats all I needed! Now I am well educated to understand the things around it. I really appreciate your Great explanation!

jlecoz
13-Aquamarine

One more comment in favor to the vault is if you are using Windchill across multiple geographic areas. CAD data are taking space, we can replicate vauts in these areas to speedup the access which is not the case with a DB.

Top Tags