cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Swept Blend

jutermohle
1-Newbie

Swept Blend

Hello I am trying to use the swept blend feature to blend a hexagon shape to a square, I have increased the blend vertex of the square but I am not sure how to get the shape to be symmetrical instead of a swirl cut into the model. Any help on this or advice on how to do a proper swept blend would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

If you can redefine your square section to have more segments, it gives you way more control than adding in blend vertices in the sweep ui:

Still not quite sure how you can make such a part:

swept_blend.png

Yes now I understand. Thank you for your help and explanation

Here are a few options.

in 1A, I redefined the sketch of the square, much like Paul did, but I added the split to the verticals instead.  I then dragged the white dot (circled) for the start point for one curve around to better line things up with the other to eliminate the twist.

Capture.JPG

In 1b, I simply rotated the white dot on your swept blend, no additional points.

Capture.JPG

In bb, I created a datum point at the end of your trajectory sketch, lengthened that sketch and then created the transition as a boundary blend and surface cut instead.  It creates a nice, even funnel shape, but where it intersects the square hole isn't planar, however.

Capture.JPG

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

OK, I did one more, incase having 6 even splits and a planar intersection with the square hole is important.  It's a bit more involved.

First, you have to redefine the square to put vertexes at the 60 degree marks.  Split the edges at the centerlines and then, at each corner, use operations > convert to > split on the "L" shapes at the corners (highlighted) to a single entity:

Capture1.JPG

Then I needed to re-select the square sketch and right click on the extra vertexes and remove them.  The reslut:

Capture.JPG

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Thanks for this tip to convert a chain of sketched entities to a single spline.

You learn something everyday...

mbonka
15-Moonstone
(To:dgschaefer)

Hello Paul Sobejko,

please, mark correct answer if your question has been answered. It can help others users in future.

Note:

If sketch control points are not conected (surface is twisted) als you wish and everything looks right, than try to check sketcher orientation reference.

It should be the same for all sketches, that are used in swept blend feater.

sketcher_reference.jpg

Swept blend is "kind of feater" where sketcher orientation reference can went you mad . It doesn´t happen often, but it happens sometimes.

or you could blend hex to hex and cut the square out

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com

Top Tags