cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Found a number with a magnitude greater than 10^307 while trying to evaluate this expression

ptc-4921095
1-Newbie

Found a number with a magnitude greater than 10^307 while trying to evaluate this expression

I am trying to take the exponent of a given function, however for a portion of the function's range the exponential output is too large. Mathcad is returning "Found a number with a magnitude greater than 10^307 while trying to evaluate this expression". Is there any way to get around this problem? Please see the attached file for more info. Thanks! JM

5 REPLIES 5

Mathcad not handle more than 10^307 this is infinity with this program.

Yes, I see you have identified the maximum point at i=609, but in my case I am specifically interested in the result when i=670. Is there any way to modify the expression to find a result? Thanks

J M wrote:

... I am specifically interested in the result when i=670. Is there any way to modify the expression to find a result?

Not directly for F, but it might be possible to overcome the limitation further along, in subsequent expressions where you use F, depending on what they are (always presuming there are such further expressions!).

Also, you have incorporated a very inefficient use of subscripts - see attached.

Alan

First of all the error message is somewhat incorrect, as Mathcad can deal with numbers up to 1.797...*10^308 (= 2^1024 - 1), but that doesn't make it any better.

OK, and now presenting the values: The highest value in your matrix F is 2.5246*10^513 in the upper right corner for x=1 and i=100 (using Alans modification).

The column i=67, which seems to be of interest for you, runs from 1.063*10^344 (x=1) down to 2,210 (x=999).

All calculated with Mathcad 😉

It was done by shifting/decreasing all exponents by 300 by multiplying all values with 10^(-300) using basic logarithm rules. For calculating the minimum shift value necessary and further details see the attached worksheet.

Werner

Just replaced the file for a revised one

Your values cover a huge dynamic range.

What are you trying to calculate?

Top Tags