cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Move Command

FTC_8521
1-Newbie

Move Command

We are trying to set up Windchill for the first time. We have some files that we have uploaded to windchill, but cannot move them from the main project area into a specific folder. Can someone please let us know how to do this? Whenever we try to re-designate the folder location in Creo before we upload the files, Windchill says to use the "Move Command" in the server. We have looked throughout the server and cannot find such a command. Is there something we are doing wrong or is there simply a different method?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:FTC_8521)

I moved your question into the FIRST community instead of the Windchill community. The Windchill community does not know much about FIRST and they are not familiar with the Windchill implementation PTC maintains for FIRST.

You are correct. There is no Move command in Windchill ProjectLink. Instead, you can use cut and paste to move items from one place to another.

Threre is a Move command in Windchill PDMLink, but the academic server does not expose PDMLink, only ProjectLink.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

I moved your question into the FIRST community instead of the Windchill community. The Windchill community does not know much about FIRST and they are not familiar with the Windchill implementation PTC maintains for FIRST.

You are correct. There is no Move command in Windchill ProjectLink. Instead, you can use cut and paste to move items from one place to another.

Threre is a Move command in Windchill PDMLink, but the academic server does not expose PDMLink, only ProjectLink.

FTC_8521
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

Thank you very much! We will keep that in mind for future reference.

You also answered our question. We were using "Copy and Paste" instead of "Cut and Paste". Once we used "Cut and Paste" the items moved just fine. Thank you again!

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Just keep in mind Copy duplicates the files resulting in multiple copies if you do not Delete the originals.

You can also select the objects and use the Set Location command to move them to the desired folder.

nrensing
5-Regular Member

If you're going through a Windchill workspace (which you would be if you're using CREO, I don't know about other types of files), you can set the destination folder in two ways. In the Workspace, near the name of the workspace, you can click on "Pick an action", select "edit preferences" from the drop-down menu, and you'll get a dialog box with a number of items including the "Part target folder" and the "CAD document folder". There's a browse button next to each of these. Browse to the folder you want, and then click OK. The parts wll then end up in the right folder. (As an aside, I don't know why you can set those two to different folders, but Windchill gives you that option - can anyone explain?).

The other way to set the destination folder is while you're checking in the objects. There's a secondary dialog box (i.e. select the objects, click on the "check in" icon, this opens a dialog box where you have to select them a second time, then click "finish"). In this secondary box, there's a little icon that looks like a file folder tree. If you click on that, you can change the destination folder.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful. I'm working on a procedure for training my team, so I'll be much more eloquent in a week or so.

Noa Rensing,

Mentor, Team 2877 The Ligerbots

Thank you to everyone who has responded!! This has helped us so much! We have been able to have all of the members join the project, and we are about to have everyone connect windchill to creo. This has been so helpful!

Top Tags