cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Opening Prime 3.1 in Prime 3.0

ptc-2091537
1-Newbie

Opening Prime 3.1 in Prime 3.0

I am a professor and use Prime 3.0 in my classes. Yesterday a student downloaded and installed Prime 3.1 on personal laptop. He now cannot open Prime 3.1 files on our lab computers at version 3.0. Please tell me this is not the case?! How can changing from 3.0 to 3.1 cause file compatibility issues? I thought these were upgrades were reserved for bug fixes and minor upgrades, not major overhauls.

Is there any way to get the file to go back in version? I know I could upgrade my lab computers as we are under maintenance contract, but updating software during and academic year is problematic at best. Any options would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Beltramo

3 REPLIES 3

PTC is posting a plethora of files on this forum. They're all (now) in 3.1.

My version of 3.0 cannot open them.

I doubt that There's an easy way to switch back--"You must buy the new software!"

Still, it's xml based files. Maybe some web wizard can cobble a fix.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-2091537)

Please tell me this is not the case?!

Ridiculous, isn't it. This kind of issue between Prime 2.0 and Prime 3.0 is bad enough, but to change the file format between 3.0 and 3.1 is ridiculous.

Is there any way to get the file to go back in version?

No. Although that is possible in almost every software package, it's not possible in Prime.

A while back, I looked at how to open prime 3 documents in prime 2 (we no longer have maintenance a we can't justify paying money to downgrade) & it really is a case of untidy programming.

For the case in question there are additions into the XML code (see the region below):

<region region-id="5" actualWidth="64.34" actualHeight="25.6" top="57.600000000000009" left="230.40000000000003"><math resultRef="10"><ml:define><ml:id labels="VARIABLE" xml:space="preserve">l</ml:id><ml:apply><ml:scale /><ml:real>25</ml:real><ml:id labels="UNIT" label-is-contextual="true" xml:space="preserve">ft</ml:id></ml:apply></ml:define><resultFormat><matrix size="12,12" offset="0,0" show-indices="false" expand-nested-arrays="false" /></resultFormat></math></region>

To add a new feature the actual height & actual width fields have been added.

Obviously Prime 2 doesn't understand this syntax, but rather than discard the 'unknown' items, it crashes the interpreter & displays nothing.

If I want to view a prime 3 sheet , I can - BUT it will be a couple of hours to step through each line of code & delete the offending parts.

Miss 1 item or delete 1 character too many & you will still have a worksheet that does not open.,

And text fields have been totally changed , so I end with empty boxes ( but at least the math code is visible)

It seems that PTC, in their 'wisdom', have applied the same philosophy.

Will it get any better ?

best advice - Don't hold your breath...

Announcements

Top Tags