cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Family Table of Charted Dimensioin in an Assembly Drawing

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Family Table of Charted Dimensioin in an Assembly Drawing

I recently asked some questions about charted dimensions on a family table for a part drawing.

http://communities.ptc.com/message/254543#254543

Now I am trying to do something similar with an assembly, but I would like to have instance, P/N (parameter), WIP P/N (parameter), RAW P/N (parameter in the one part that is in the assemly that is machined), DIM "A" & DIM "B" (driven dimensions) and DIM "C" (driven dimension / parameter).

I was trying to start by just modifying the table I had from the previous model and change the filter for the Length to the "C", but the table will not propagate with these three - instance/pn/"C".

Thanks,

Dale

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

I ended up using a charted drawing with individual repeat regions and filters for each repeat region similar to this thread:

http://support.ptc.com/cs/cs_26/howto/dwt_no2d/dwt_no2d.htm

Thanks, Dale

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Now I am getting an error message that "some drawing tables were frozen; these are not updated."

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I started a new table similar to the one I created for the individual part. I have the instance, pn, wip pn, and dim "C" working.

I am trying to get the RAW PN (part number from the only part in the assembly. It is an assembly because other work is being done to the raw part), QTY, DIM "A" & "B" driven dimension that are not parameters to work.

When I created a filter with "B" (driven measured dimension) similar to "C" (a parameter) the column just shows up blank.

Dim "A" is the overall length that, if I could, I could pull from the a parameter from the raw part.

Any thoughts.

Thanks, Dale

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I was trying to use the parameter name from the componenet (length). Tom Uminn Do you know if this is possible?

Thanks, Dale

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Dale,

Can you either provide a snapshot of your assembly tree or create an ASCII equivalent? I'm struggling to wrap my head around what is what....

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomU)

Is this what you have?

ASM

---Part Instance

---Part Instance

---Part Instance

---Assembly

------Part Instance

---Part Instance

And you want parameters/dimensions from each instance in the table?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Here is the model tree - very simple.

ASSEMBLY_MODEL_TREE.PNG

One part with two cuts.

Here is how far I have gone with the table:

ASSEMBLY_MODEL_TREE_table.PNG

I dimensioned the distance between the two cuts on the part and called that dimension "B".

Thanks, Dale

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I'm so confused. Where are the instances? Are the instances of the assembly of the part inside the assembly?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

ASSEMBLY_MODEL_3.PNG

The instances are different lengths of raw material that have the ends cut in a mill.

Finished instances are 1197_4001, 1197_4002, ... of raw material 1197_3001, 1197_3002, ....

Dim "A" is the pre-cut length (Parameter Length in 1197_3000).

Dim "B" is the between tangent dimensions.

Dim "C" is the size of notch cut on the other side.

Raw P/N is a parameter PN in the 1197_3000 family of parts.

PN is the parameter PN in the 1197_4000 family of part.

I hope this clarifies it a little.

Thanks, Dale

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Ah, that makes more sense. I need to try this out, but I think the data is mutually exclusive. I don't think the assembly family table instances can "see" the part level family table values. You might have to make assembly level analysis features (measures-->parameters) to display the lower level information. Let me do some testing...

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

In Extrude 1, where the two rounds are cut off of the ends, I added a reference dimension and labeled it BB and then set up a filter for BB, but that didn't work either - thought maybe I had it there for a moment.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I ended up using a charted drawing with individual repeat regions and filters for each repeat region similar to this thread:

http://support.ptc.com/cs/cs_26/howto/dwt_no2d/dwt_no2d.htm

Thanks, Dale

Top Tags