cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

3D note annotation angular dimension failure

Paul6
7-Bedrock

3D note annotation angular dimension failure

I have a flexible torsion spring modelled.

I have an angular dimension annotation calling out the angle between the legs. 

When the spring is in the free state the legs are parallel and therefore @ 0° and the dimension annotation fails, and so does the model.

When the spring is shown in the deflected state @42°, the dimension annotation is shown and the model is happy. See below

Paul6_0-1715770520617.png

As the spring will be saved in the free state, how do I prevent the annotation / model from failing. I do not want a separate family table member, combined state, simplified rep etc. I just want the base model to have the annotation without the failure in the free state.

Any ideas?, Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for your ideas.

I think I have found the solution.

I should have used the show annotation feature for the 3D note, and selected the driving dimension for the spring deflection rather than creating a stand alone 3d note dimension.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Paul6)

Can you define the angle of the bottom leg from the horizontal position instead of the other leg? If you need to, you could cheat and give the free state an angle of 0.1°.

Yes, I can define it from the horizontal but I still get the dimension failure at 0°

The cheat works with a free state of 0.01°, which will not effect the dia. of the spring. However the dimension is not visible on the screen.

It would be nice to have the free state of 0° as a visible annotation note.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Paul6)

What if you create a plane 5 degrees below horizontal and dimension from that. Your model would go from 5° to 53° when it travel.

For dimensions you could then dimension on the drawing from the horizontal and go from 0° to 48°.

It would be a created dimension on the drawing and a "show" dimension.

Thanks for your ideas.

I think I have found the solution.

I should have used the show annotation feature for the 3D note, and selected the driving dimension for the spring deflection rather than creating a stand alone 3d note dimension.

Top Tags