cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

4k Laptop

SamWorthington
11-Garnet

4k Laptop

I'm looking to get a new laptop/notebook and the Lenovo P72 is looking pretty good. I currently use a 6-year old HP Elitebook 8770w.

The P72 has the option of a 4k 17" screen for an extra £400 ($515). Is the extra resolution worth the investment and increased GPU demand for Creo work? I don't really do much rendering so my graphics demands aren't too severe, but I'm often away from my desk so am very dependant on the screen on the laptop itself.

Does the extra resolution mean I can fit more on the screen, and will spend less time zooming about the model, or are the benefits small?

Cheers,

Sam

5 REPLIES 5

The higher resolution is only that.  On SOME occasions things might be a little clearer and prevent a zoom, but, mostly, no.

The human eye can only distinguish up to so many pixels (DPI) which is like 300. Higher resolutions will help prevent jagged lines at an angle or a circle be crisper. 

Thanks for the comments.

There is an interesting article suggesting that people with good visual acuity will be able to clearly tell the difference, but I real experience is worth a lot. Does anyone on here use a 4k laptop?

Thanks for the comments.

I'm starting to think that 4k is a bit of overkill. My eyes are pretty good, so while I might be able to make use of the extra detail, I think I would probably still end up zooming in just as much to make it easier on my eyes over long periods.

Nevertheless, if anyone does have a 4k laptop, I'd be very interested to hear what they think.

Oh, and I probably should mention that when I finally get a home CAD system I'm not going to bother with a monitor at all, I'll simply run it thru my home theater system with the 4K big screen and sit on the couch.  At the last job before this one I took the work laptop home for some work and did that and man, that was a great way to work vs a monitor!

Top Tags