cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Absolute Coordinates on a Drawing Format

JWayman
1-Newbie

Absolute Coordinates on a Drawing Format

Hello,

I have a drawing format to which I want to add a table. I want the new table (a single cell) to align exactly with an existing table.

How can I establish the precise coordinates of the existing table?

I can click and drag and increase the zoom, then click and drag again, etc. but that is at best time-consuming and tricky.

If I were making a new format, I might place all the tables relative to an absolute coordinate system, but whoever created this one didn't do so. I therefore need to measure where the table is and replicate that position.

WF4, m220

Am I the only one to wonder whether the fact that Pro/Detail has no 'Sub-Space' of its own on this website is down to PTC embarrassment at how awful it is?

Sorry, can't resist a dig at Pro/Detail whenever an opportunity presents itself!

Cheers,

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Select the whole table (right mouse button pick from list to be sure)

Move your mouse over the corner of the existing table that you want to line up with

You should see a four way pointer, right mouse button and select from the bottom of the list 'Move Special'

The pop up box will display the current location of that corner, make a note

Plonk the new table down somewhere, then select the whole table

Move over the corner of the new table that needs to line up with the previously mentioned corner

Type in the values that you noted down earlier

Voila!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Select the whole table (right mouse button pick from list to be sure)

Move your mouse over the corner of the existing table that you want to line up with

You should see a four way pointer, right mouse button and select from the bottom of the list 'Move Special'

The pop up box will display the current location of that corner, make a note

Plonk the new table down somewhere, then select the whole table

Move over the corner of the new table that needs to line up with the previously mentioned corner

Type in the values that you noted down earlier

Voila!

Thanks, Charlotte. Spot on!

I have a new problem with drawing formats:

I want to shift everything - text, drawing items, and tables - by the same amount.

If I select everything and fiddle about until I get the 4-way arrow, right-click, move special, it only moves a single item, not all those I have selected.

Is it possible to move everything at once, or do I have to move them one-by-one?

WF4, M220

Cheers,

John

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:JWayman)

Pro/E is too busy running the CPUfor me to check, but Tools/Translate** allows moving bunches of items.

Here's another trick - the grid origin controls where the drawing coordinate system is. If you need a number of items located relative to some place on the drawing, change the grid origin, part of the Sketch group, and then you can use absolute coordinates. Reset the origin when done.

**I know it's Translate, I just wanted to make sure it's under the Tools tab.

WF5: Tools/Translate? Of course not. Sketch and Annotate each have their own Arrange group and each has its own Translate.

Menu Manager gives a good variety of selections for relative Horz, Vert, Ang/Length movements and Absolute/Relative location changes.

Top Tags