cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Adding my own dim in sketcher

fbock
1-Newbie

Adding my own dim in sketcher

I am trying to dimension a sketch and the software creates a dimension automatically and i cannot override it. I want to be able to reference to a different point than what the software is doing. This is so annoying I have never used a software so difficult to use. Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

What do you mean you "cannot override it"?  Have you tried just creating the dimensions you want?

Sketcher automatically creates enough dimensions to fully constrain your sketch.  These are 'weak' dimensions which disappear when you create your own dimensions that constrain the same degree of freedom.  Therefore, you can easily tell whether you've fully constrained your sketch: there should be no weak dimensions left (either replace them, or if you want to keep one, RMB and set it to 'Strong').

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:fbock)

I'm with you with this struggle.

I think there isn't too much trouble with boxy sketches but when you raise the complexity you also raise issues with what the software considers as a fully constrained sketch.

As Jonathan suggests it is good practice to remove the weak dimensions in order to get a sketch that acts like it should when changing a dimension.

Working with angled lines attached with radii is torture in a sketch.  If possible it works best with radii done outside of the sketch.

I've many times tried creating a specific dimension and the software just doesn't allow it.  Sometimes you can sneak up on the answer by making some of the weak dimensions as strong and then deleting the strong dimension.  If you've placed some dimensions prior to this you might get lucky and the un-needed dimension won't pop up again as it might see the constraints already satisfied.  If you are unlucky the weak dimension will pop up again in the same place.

Perhaps there is an easier way to fully dimension a sketch.  It is aggravating to try placing a locked dimension and it being over ruled by an un-needed weak dimension.

rmcboaty
7-Bedrock
(To:pimm)

weak, auto generated dimensions never overrule user-placed strong dimensions.

you can add as much dimensions as you like, but they will be reference dimensions (i.e. driven, not driving).

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:rmcboaty)

I can't speak for the poster of this thread but my purpose for making a strong or locked dimension is to have parametrics be guided by what the dimension is placed to.

It really hasn't been much use for me having a dimension that will float at the whim of the weak dimension.

Top Tags