cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Alternative Relations Editor (Emacs)?

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Alternative Relations Editor (Emacs)?

I'd like to add a relations editor that has syntax-based text colors, a good set of text manipulation commands, etc. My choice would be Emacs, because I could customize it to look the way I want, define all the syntax-based stuff myself, etc.

Has anyone attempted something like this before? I've seen some discussion of Notepad++ on other discussions, but the advice given there for setting things up doesn't seem to work for Emacs.

Any ideas?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Emacs says it is a Linux based text editor.  How are you planning on using it for Creo?

I have played around with using Notepad++, which certainly helps but has 2 disadvantages:

1. You must exporting out of Creo to use Notepad++
  2. No debugging

I am looking for a product idea to improve the relations editor, and if I don't find one I will be adding one.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"

Emacs is not just Linux based. I use it on my PC at work, my Mac at home, and have used it on Unix-flavored computers for decades. If I could get it to communicate with Creo, I'd be able to apply syntax-based formatting and have something really nice to edit relations. I can't seem to get Creo to send it a file, though.

Ahh, the website said Linux all over it and I didn't see anything about windows.  Thanks for the clarification.

Can't you just export the relations as a text file on to your hard drive, and then open it with that editor?

I sometimes do this and then use a customized file I created in Notepad++

Edit Creo Relations with Notepad++ instead of the default editor

I also submitted a product idea to improve these relations editors on PTC's end, so if you want you can vote this up too.

Improve Relations Editor

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
Top Tags