cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Apply Decal Component to a Curved Surface in Assembly (Creo 2.0)

wjamieson
4-Participant

Apply Decal Component to a Curved Surface in Assembly (Creo 2.0)

In my assembly, I have applied several stickers (decals) to the surface of my object. However, several of these decals need to bend around a curved edge. Is there any way to make a flat decal behave as a "sticker" in assembly mode? I know how to make a projection feature in part mode, and that is not what I want to do. The decals must be included as part numbers if a parametric bill of materials table is generated from my assembly. Does Creo 2.0 have this feature?

I've attached a picture showing the current decal. I want the sticker to curve around the round edge in the picture, instead of sticking straight off.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

It looks like you are using a part to make the decal.

In that case, two options come to mind, but both end the same way.

The way they end is by creating a spinal bend feature to form the decal. If you need help with spinal bends, please ask a separate question or search for answers already given; then a link can be added here.

One start is with a family table item which has the installed version with the spinal bend resumed and the generic with the spinal bend suppressed.

I believe you could use the decal on different radii and with different radius placement using Flexible Assembly Feature to redimension the decal for each different assembly if that was required.

The other start is to inherit the part into a new part and apply the spinal bend the same way.

It's a matter of preference as to whether the more independent inheritance or the more compact family table management is preferable.

If you chose family table, remember to use the Verify function whenever the table is opened, prior to closing it.

Past that I don't know of any method that allows forming or warping a part on installation without requiring the change actually be made at the part level.

There are two options for the same:

First One

1. Scan the decal. Save as decal.bmp file.

2. You may want to bring into adobe PhotoShop and crop and remove area outside decal that is not square. SAVE File.

3. Rename files to a decal.tx3 extension

4. Move the file to this location:

C:\Program Files\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M020\graphic-library\textures\ or where your textures are dir is located.

5. In CREO under View tab go to Appearance Gallery then more Appearance, add a new color, modify and the detail tab. Under this tab click the Map button, inside the folder ture-files pick the decal # (i.e. decal.tx3). Pick the surface of the Model to place this, you may have to position and resize the picture to fit.

6. Save Creo model file.

Second one

Inserting images in Creo

Appearance textures and decals won't apply across surfaces and they don't show up in the BOM.

It also is not necessary to change the suffix of the file. PTC can handle PNG, BMP, and JPG as files to be applied as textures, with PNG also able to include transparency as defined in the PNG file. Maybe TX3 and TX4 are required for the PTC supplied image/texture convertor for changing one color in an existing image to be transparent. I don't know - the PTC tools is too clumsy and Photoshop and Gimp are both sufficient for creating the transparency and saving it in PNG files on top of editing and cropping the images as required. Also set the transparency of the highlight color to 100%

One can also search to wherever the graphics files are. It is important to use the config option to SAVE_TEXTURE_WITH_MODEL set to YES. If the texture is placed only in the graphic-library/textures folder, they will be lost at the next installation of Creo. Embedding them in the part or assembly file is more secure and doesn't require copying the texture to all possible users.

Top Tags