cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Assembly cuts / holes

NickAdams
2-Guest

Assembly cuts / holes

If I create a hole in a single part using the axis of another part in an assembly its possible to go to the part and using edit definition remove the axis and then use the tags to re dimension (place the hole) in the same position, this is great for disassociating the hole from the original part, but keeping it correctly placed. Now my problem comes when I try doing the same in an assembly, as soon as I remove the axis the hole flies off to another position before I can tie it down, is there a config to stop this or a work around ? We are trying to create a fabrication so our method is to put the individual plates together in an assembly (fab.assy) this then sits inside our machined assy. (mc.assy) which is where the cuts and holes are placed. the holes are being cut in another assembly and we need to reference the other parts (axis) but then break the association. Any tips welcome or ideas on creating fabrications.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

I might opt for a simple solution of making an independent point sketch (created in the master pattern) and tying the holes to the points after importing the sketch into the assembly or part files. You have much more control over the sketch than you do with the hole placement dialog.

Hi

Thanks for the tips, this works well if the holes are in the assembly first, as I can place holes on points in part mod, but it doesn't work the other way round to place a hole on a point in assembly mod.

I am sorry Nick, I should have known that. In all PTC's wisdom in making the software smarter, they often make it less flexible.

It seems what you are doing is primarily to manage appropiate timelines for when the holes are fabricated. Can you maintain features (axis or points) at the part level that can be referenced at the assembly level for creating the hole feature in the assembly level?

This works better, I can assign datum axis in the part level and then use them in the assembly to place my holes.

...and I am never opposed to making holes with extrude or revolve features

Top Tags