cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Assembly cuts not being displayed in simplified reps

ptc-2015663
1-Newbie

Assembly cuts not being displayed in simplified reps

First some background. I have created a part out of sheetmetal. (it is actually going to be a piece of formed acrylic). When we sell these parts to various customers however, there will be some additional trim operations done to the part to make it unique to that customer. The idea is that I will have a base geometry, which I will then put into an assembly and then cut away the unique features for that customer. This will make it easier to make sure that the common features across this part line stay the same. Here is my problem. The last feature of the base geometry is a flat pattern. Then I add the part to the assembly and I use an extruded cut to cut away the material I don't want for that customer. So far so good. On the drawing I also want to show the part, minus the flat pattern. So I make a simplified rep of the part and exclude the flat pattern and create a simplified rep of the assembly showing the bent part. However the extruded cut that I have just made disappears. So I then try to do a new extruded cut of the rep but the cut doesn't appear. I can define it just fine, the feature is shown on the model tree when I display features, but the cut does not appear on the model or in the drawing. Does anyone have an idea on how I can make this work or an alternative to accomplish the same goal? Thanks David Reno, NV
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Have you tried using inheritance models instead of using simplified reps and assembly cuts? Perhaps you could model the base sheetmetal part and then create new parts for each customer by "inheriting" the features from the base part. Any updates to the original would update into the inherited models.

Steve, Wonderful suggestion. I am working through that now and it seems to be working beautifully. Thanks alot
Top Tags