cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Assembly name on Part drawing

amitshah
1-Newbie

Assembly name on Part drawing

Hi,

There is an assembly with 2 parts.

I create a drawing of any one part, I create a table and I can have the name of that part with parameter "&model_name" in the cell of that table

But, How to have the Assembly name on that part drawing.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

First make sure that you add the assembly to the drawing using the Add model option.

You can use the parameter like : &part_name:1

where Part_name is your parameter for the name of your assemble, and the number may vary.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

First make sure that you add the assembly to the drawing using the Add model option.

You can use the parameter like : &part_name:1

where Part_name is your parameter for the name of your assemble, and the number may vary.

I think this solution help me in direct way by adding that assembly in the drawing model.

Thanks Manju...Cheeerss

You are welcome

Hi,

you probably know that part does not contain information where it is used. So you have to enter assembly name manually -OR- "develop" some trick.

MH

Martin Hanák

What we do is in each part there is a string parameter "partnoAsm" that is assigned the pertinent assembly part number. On the drawing itself, where you want to show this, you just use the normal syntax, or "&partnoAsm".

Where it gets messy is for parts that are used in multiple assemblies...

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:KenFarley)

Every time you reuse that component, you have to go in and modify it to add another where used element? Sounds like a lot of wasted effort and time.

Do you use a PDM system that will track where used information for you? It makes life a lot easier.

No we don't have a PDM system. We looked at it, but the immense cost in terms of (a) buying it, (b) installing it and setting up for it, and (c) continual maintenance and upkeep didn't make any sense for  a group of four engineers.

As I said in the previous message, the tricky part is if something is used in a lot of different assemblies. It's generally not a "lot of wasted effort and time".

Hi,

You can create manual parameter in both parts like &Next_Assy and call this parameter in your part drawing. The thing is you need to manually enter parameter once. Or if we have only one assembly for part drawing you can use &PartnoAsm as mentioned by Kenneth.

Thanks,

Jitu

mender
6-Contributor
(To:amitshah)

Side note here, besides the style of having a param in the part (or a param in the drawing), if you add the assembly as a top model to the drawing, then the assembly will be loaded when the drawing is.  If your assembly is big, you might not want that because your detail person is on a insufficiently powerful computer.  In this case, you could wish to make a simp rep in the assembly, say NO_COMPONENTS, with all components excluded, and add 'the assembly in that rep' to the drawing instead.

Yes, I agree with Matt.

Top Tags