cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Assembly references

fphelps
1-Newbie

Assembly references

Hello all, I have a assembly I am using. The parts I started using for the assembly got moved to different folders on accident and now the assembly cant find the files to use. Is there a way to tell creo to look in a new places for these files or to re associate them some how? Thanks in advance your help.

Frank

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:fphelps)

I do not think an assembly keeps track of where its required objects are located. It simply tries to open each file from all the locations it knows about. If you add these other folder locations to your search paths, Creo should be able to find and open the required files.

If you manually locate and open the required files before opening the assembly, when the assembly loads it will be able to use the files in session. Still, after saving the assembly and closing everything, I don't think it will be able to find them again if they aren't in the search path.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

You can update your config.pro file to add the new location into the search path. Then it should be able to find the files that it cannot find now.

Thanks, Dale

Thanks for the response Dale, but how do I tell Creo which paths go with which file. The files are located in multiple folders.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

You really only want to have one copy of any file anywhere on the network. You're asking for big trouble with multiple copies.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

You can list many search paths. Creo will look through each one until it finds a file with that name.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

You will need to add each folder location to your search path. Some search paths in the config.pro can be quite lengthy. I am also assuming that you are not using windchill or some other PDM software. There is an order in which the search paths are executed if for some reason you have the same file in multiple locations.

Thanks, Dale

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I do not think an assembly keeps track of where its required objects are located. It simply tries to open each file from all the locations it knows about. If you add these other folder locations to your search paths, Creo should be able to find and open the required files.

If you manually locate and open the required files before opening the assembly, when the assembly loads it will be able to use the files in session. Still, after saving the assembly and closing everything, I don't think it will be able to find them again if they aren't in the search path.

fphelps
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Thanks Tom. So the best plan of action is to keep all the part files in (1) folder, and not have seperate part folders for each part? Thanks again.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Either (1) folder or several folders with each folder location in the search path.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

No, I'm not saying you can't keep stuff in different folders, I'm saying if you have multiple copies of the same part laying around you're bound to get in trouble with one person using one copy and another person using a different copy.

I see this all the time with some of our vendors (who don't use a PDM system) where one engineer will update a part but a different designer uses a different copy because their search paths are set differently. (They change search paths on a job by job basis.)

fphelps
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Sorry Tom I didnt mean to lead you on to believe we had the SAME file in multiple locations. The files needed were just in different folders, but only one copy of the file. Thanks again for the help.

Top Tags