cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Auto-fill parameter for user

erine
12-Amethyst

Auto-fill parameter for user

On a default, out-of-the-box start part there is a field called "MODELED_BY" which is parameter-driven.  If I wanted to auto-populate that field based on the user, how would i do that?

Creo 4.0 / M060
5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:erine)

Do you use a PDM system, as the answer will change if you do or not.

No pdm

modeled_by = username

pdm

modeled_by = <pdm_username_variable>

In WIndchill it is ptc_wm_created_by

llie
16-Pearl
(To:BenLoosli)

DO NOT USE ptc_wm_created_by. It is misleading and I just tested this again this morning.

This changes to the person that creates the next Revision.

We put ptc_wm_created_by and ptc_wm_created_on in our drawing title block and everytime a new revision was created the name and date would change in our title block. Definitely a violation and we had to remove it right away. This would work for the Revision History Block.

erine
12-Amethyst
(To:llie)

Unfortunately, we do not use Windchill or Intralink. The cost cannot be justified for a company that has 6-8 seats.

The non-PDM option that Ben suggested appears to be literal, so each user would have to manual input their name into the parameter for each part created.  If it's not possible, that's fine.  I am just trying to streamline our start part templates and other setup files.

Creo 4.0 / M060
llie
16-Pearl
(To:erine)

Correct, the manual user input process is the only way you can accomplish this without Windchill.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:llie)

You can 'speed' up the process so the users do not have to type their name, just select it from a drop down list by using a restricted_param.txt file and setting this line in config.rpo.

restricted_val_definition <network_shared _folder>\restricted_param.txt

Sample file is below, cut and paste into an empty file name restricted_param.txt

ND_ParamDefArr_K01 = {
{Name=modeled_by
Type=string
Default=' '
Enum={'user_1','user_2','user_2'}
}
}

Top Tags