cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Automate Sheet Number Tracking On BOM

MORECREO
11-Garnet

Automate Sheet Number Tracking On BOM

I have a top level BOM that list all my parts with a column that calls out what page each component/item is on.

Multiple components are shown on various D size prints with a "part" BOM located below each item. The "part" BOM is automatically populated with &sheet_number.

The top level BOM, however, is not tied to this &sheet_number and can not auto populate.

I understand repeat regions would tie them together (&asm.mbr.sheet), but I'd have to manually type the number in. The problem with that, parts tend to switch pages etc.....

I just want the sheet number to auto populate on both BOM's without ever needing to be manually entered. 

Is this possible? I thought I had it working, but I was wrong.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MORECREO)

Short answer, no.

The best solution is probably some kind of 3rd party automation like SmartAssembly, J-Link, or possibly VBA.

Repeat region relations can't really 'see' the drawing.  They simply process the model for the current row of the repeat region.

A drawing program can set a drawing parameter value equal to a model parameter value, but setting this up is a very manual process and is not tied to repeat regions or their relations.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

To clarify more, I'll give an example. 

So part #23 and #24 are laid out on sheet 7. I place my "part" BOM below each part. Both "part" bom's are then populated with the current sheet number which is 7 (driven by &sheet_number).

I then would like the top level bom, shown on sheet 1, to be auto populated with the corresponding sheet number for each part.

If I could get the &sheet_number in the drawing to read back to a &sheet parameter in the model, that the top level bom could look for. Maybe thats all I need? If thats even possible.

Thanks Again

This one is killing me 😒

So my part BOM would need a second row that I can filter out (hide)? Then one of those cells (cell A2 for example) could collect the &sheet_number. Then another cell could report (.rpt) the numerical value of A2 and a relation could set A2 equal to my model parameter "&sheet".

Then my top level BOM would read the model parameter?

So the magic question here, is can I get a drawing parameter to link back to a model parameter or is that an impossible loop?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MORECREO)

Short answer, no.

The best solution is probably some kind of 3rd party automation like SmartAssembly, J-Link, or possibly VBA.

Repeat region relations can't really 'see' the drawing.  They simply process the model for the current row of the repeat region.

A drawing program can set a drawing parameter value equal to a model parameter value, but setting this up is a very manual process and is not tied to repeat regions or their relations.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags