cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

BOM Balloons with Multiple attachments

nhanratty
2-Guest

BOM Balloons with Multiple attachments

Hi all

We have just recently upgraded from WF3 to WF4.

If I remember correctly, in Wildfire 3 Reference BOM balloons could be modified to attach to multiple instances of the same part on an assembly drawing.

This does't appear to be possible in Wildfire 4, am I correct?

Is there an alternative method for doing this other than creating the Balloon manually? I would like the balloon to update if/when the repeat region changes.

Thanks for any suggestions.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Hi all

I haven't had a response from the user community on this one yet but I'm still hoping.

In the interim I spoke with PTC who confirmed for me that this functionality WAS available up to and including Wildfire 3 - this I already knew as some of my users had benefitted from it. Then PTC continued to tell me that this functionality was removed from Wildfire 4 onwards. The only alternative is to create a manual BOM balloon which defeats the purpose as it will not update the index number if/when the repeat region is changed.

To get the functionality back I'll have to raise an 'enhancement'...amazing.

Sometimes I do wonder why we bother?

Neal,

Agreed...why do we bother at times.

When I hear of things like this (have been for decades now) I envision a big colorful, spinning, New version, CAD function enhancementcategory wheel in the PTC development room. You know, like the ones you see at a carnival to see what prize you will win.

I see function categories like:

Yes

No

Maybe

Just kidding

Try Again

Just to mess with 'em

Core Dump

Next Rev

Not enough time to fix

That will teach them

Haha...you try programming that!

Text or Icon driven...both...okay. 🐵

Remove from this Rev, added back next Rev

Secret middle mouse button selection

Sorry, next time.

🐵

Not to mention.....

Geometry cannot be constructed - why?

Geometry overlapping - where?

Non manifold solid - Huh!

Your system is running low on memory - do you want to cancel?

And lastly, that spinning hour glass - is it about to stop or will it
keep spinning for the next 6 hours?

All encountered ProE splash screens - all utterly useless!

Richard A. Black

Lead Design Engineer

Eaton Corporation

440 Murray Hill Road

Southern Pines

NC 28387 USA

scott_rockwell
5-Regular Member
(To:nhanratty)

Speaking of BOM balloons ... Anyone have a How-to guide on creating
custom balloons from scratch? We have several old balloons that have
"no leader options" and we can't seem to fix them.

Thanks, ScottR

At least Pro/E many times (not always) will highlight the bad geometry and gives you some tools to investigate. Solidworks just says “Feature failed due to geometric condition.” with no highlighting and no investigation mode to figure out why.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I'd really like to see CAD/CAM software go through some type of case testing before release.

A software company that develops specialized CAE software I use had become ISO 9000 certified recently.

Because of their requirements for software verification, they have over 100 test cases to go through before offering major updates to their software suite.

Now, we used to get updates approx twice per year, which has been reduced to once every 12-18 months. The releases are solid and seem to be bug free.

I would rather have this than quick releases of quirky software.

When I hear that a new release of Pro-E and broken drawing notes, or printing, or some other feature, I have to wonder how they tested the software before release.

At least with SW, when you become part of the beta program they offer you prizes for finding and reporting bugs before the software is released.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company

124 Hidden Valley Road

McMurray, PA 15317

PTC's prize is... "You get to keep the bugs" :^)

Bob
Top Tags