cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

BOM Relations in Repeat Region

mmoore_mri
4-Participant

BOM Relations in Repeat Region

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a set of relations/parameters to work in my repeat region BOM table, but having some issues.

Essentially I've got a bulk item in my top level assembly. I currently have a set of relations for my repeat region as:

IF asm_mbr_type == "BULK ITEM"
qty = "A/R"
ELSE
qty = rpt_qty
ENDIF

This works great for a lot of our bulk items that use smaller quantities, as they just show up in the table as "A/R". However, I'd like a way to report the quantity used for other bulk items as a discrete amount (total volume of glue used, for example).

I can do this by changing the relations to

qty = "A/R"
ELSE
qty = rpt_qty
ENDIF

IF asm_mbr_part_num == "bulk"
qty = "2 gal"
ENDIF

Again, this works great as well. However, I have to manually calculate & then enter the "2 gal" value. As said item is changed/revised/save-as, this "2 gal" value will most definitely change as well.

I'd like to be able to use a parameter/relation in the assembly that contains the bulk item (measure of surface area * bond line thickness, as an example) to parametrically calculate this value. I've called the parameter "volu" & I can drop a note in the part as "&volu" where it feeds back the calculated/updated value just fine.

My first thought was to do this:

qty = "A/R"
ELSE
qty = rpt_qty
ENDIF

qty = &volu
ENDIF

However, that doesn't work because the volu parameter is part of the top level assembly, & not the bulk item.

Is there a way to drive the repeat region with this parameter?

4 REPLIES 4

@mmoore_mri wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a set of relations/parameters to work in my repeat region BOM table, but having some issues.

Essentially I've got a bulk item in my top level assembly. I currently have a set of relations for my repeat region as:

qty = "A/R"
ELSE
qty = rpt_qty
ENDIF

This works great for a lot of our bulk items that use smaller quantities, as they just show up in the table as "A/R". However, I'd like a way to report the quantity used for other bulk items as a discrete amount (total volume of glue used, for example).

I can do this by changing the relations to

qty = "A/R"
ELSE
qty = rpt_qty
ENDIF

qty = "2 gal"
ENDIF

Again, this works great as well. However, I have to manually calculate & then enter the "2 gal" value. As said item is changed/revised/save-as, this "2 gal" value will most definitely change as well.

I'd like to be able to use a parameter/relation in the assembly that contains the bulk item (measure of surface area * bond line thickness, as an example) to parametrically calculate this value. I've called the parameter "volu" & I can drop a note in the part as "&volu" where it feeds back the calculated/updated value just fine.

My first thought was to do this:

qty = "A/R"
ELSE
qty = rpt_qty
ENDIF

qty = &volu
ENDIF

However, that doesn't work because the volu parameter is part of the top level assembly, & not the bulk item.

Is there a way to drive the repeat region with this parameter?

Hi,

instead of

qty = &volu

use

qty = asm_mbr_volu

Martin Hanák

Sadly I don't think this works either.

Wouldn't asm_mbr_volu look for the volu parameter in various assembly members (aka. bulk item in this case)?

The volu parameter is in the top-level assembly that drives the entire BOM table. I can drop a note in the drawing with "&volu" & it spits back the correct value. But not sure how to drive a BOM table with a top-level parameter.

@mmoore_mri wrote:

Sadly I don't think this works either.

Wouldn't asm_mbr_volu look for the volu parameter in various assembly members (aka. bulk item in this case)?

The volu parameter is in the top-level assembly that drives the entire BOM table. I can drop a note in the drawing with "&volu" & it spits back the correct value. But not sure how to drive a BOM table with a top-level parameter.

Hi,

I am sorry I misunderstood you.

Solution:

• create local parameter VOLU in bulk item
  • in top assembly define relation ... VOLU:sessionID=VOLU
    (sessionID is numeric ID assigned to bulk part by Creo in current session)
  • in repeat region relation use qty = asm_mbr_volu

Martin Hanák
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mmoore_mri)

While there are some 'hacks' to get at parameter values in the top level assembly from a repeat region, they won't be processed on the same row in the table.  Each row in a repeat region is only looking at one thing at a time.  If the row is displaying data from a component, then it won't also display information from the top level assembly in that same row.

Since you are looking to override the qty. or "A/R" on a row by row basis, it probably makes sense to use component level parameters.  These can be created, and set (and even calculated if you want) at the assembly level without any impact on the bulk item.  Your repeat region relations can then check for this component level parameter and use its value instead when present.

In the example below, BULK_QTY is a component level parameter and it only exits on BULK_ITEM_03 in the context of the assembly.

TomU_0-1599675129525.png

Sample data is attached.  Files were created in Creo Parametric 6.0 and cannot be opened in earlier versions.

Top Tags