cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Beam shear and moment measures

346gnu
12-Amethyst

Beam shear and moment measures

Hi,

Can we create measures for P, Vy, Vz,, Mx, My, Mz?

It has always been possible to plot shear and moment graphs as follows, so the information is there. Vis results dialogue:

I want to determine the shear and moments at specific points (connections) and perform a sensitivity study to look for max/min therefore I need a measure for these quantities..

It is only possible to calculate stress measures for beams. I have to reverse engineer the information required. Not efficient with potential for error.

Moments and forces are more useful.

A partial work around where beams are constrained at one end using displacement constraints I can measure force and moment reactions.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Charles,

This is something I have been wanting to do aswell... I have not seen any efficient technique.

A possible workaround is to create an advanced spring (point-point) that has properties similart to the beam. To accomplish this I guess a separate analysis is required to find the spring properties that replicates the beam behaviour. On springs it is then possible to find moments/forces on the endpoints.

Another strategy is to replace a beam (or a part of a beam) with a solid or shell,and then create resultant measures. Not very efficient either....

/Mats L

346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:mlindqvist)

Morning Mats,

It's not just me then.

I was contemplating mechanism dynamics but we don't have flexible beams.

To develop the spring idea a bit further ...

What if the beams are connected by very stiff springs (so they do not contribute to deflections) where the springs are very short (so they do not to significantly affect geometry) ?

You wouldn't need to approximate stiffness then.

(it's still a lot more pre processing than I would want to do ... and a lot more measures)

Charles

Charles,

Yes, this sounds like a good strategy. I'm not sure if advanced springs can have zero length, but I guess it should be possible to give it a short, insignificant length.

/M

346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:mlindqvist)

Mats,

We can't have zero length springs.

The points would have to be very close.

Top Tags