cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Benchmark Criteria

Cosmo
1-Newbie

Benchmark Criteria

Hello Pro/E CAM people....our company is looking for some criteria to compare CAM software applications. We design in Pro/E and I think it makes sense to also machine using Pro/NC if possible. We do a LOT of family table work so I think there would be a distinct advantage to using Pro/E's package over others.
Does anyone out there have any information comparing MasterCAM with Pro/NC? Can MasterCAM leverage family tables from Pro/E at all? Anyone have any comments on this topic at all? Feel free to send them my way. I'd love to hear all the feedback I can get on the topic.
Thanks in advance,
Mike -

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
mbraaten
7-Bedrock
(To:Cosmo)

We recently had a pilot to test this. We concluded that we could program the first instance %70 faster with Pro/NC then MasterCAM. Each family table member could be programmed from the time it takes to push regen to as little as %70 faster.

The only strategy I have seen to "automate" family table or model iterations is to create surfaces in Master CAM not related to the model and the marry the surfaces up to the new instance or iteration. The risk is that there is no relationship between the model and the tooling surface. This will help you keep the existing toolpaths. (correct or not)

Remember that each time you bring a model into Master CAM (translator or not) the surface IDs change because the file is imported. Therefore you cannot keep the toolpaths. Master CAM still needs to convert the data to read it in. This is the advantage of Pro/NC. No translation. The only thing that changes on a new iteration or instance is just the added or removed geometry. Almost all the modified geometry will automatically update during regeneration unless it can no longer be machined using the previous method. The surface ID remain the same and the toolpaths remain.

Top Tags