cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Bend/Form from flat

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Bend/Form from flat

All,

Given the attached drawing. What id the best way to go from flat to formed?

I'd like it to be in sheet metal. I have been given a Toroidal Blend option, which appears to work. But I am wondering if there is a sheet metal option? Bend gets me nowhere.

By the way, I suspect that R given is incorrect and should be doubled?

WayneF

Creo 3.0 M020

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:wfalco)

Try using the "Bend to end of surface" option in the bend tool:

bend_from_flat.png

I had to use two bends (bent the left and right side up from the centerline) to get the full form.  There might be a better way to do this with just a single bend.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Maybe unorthodox, but one way would be to start a sheet metal part from scratch, extrude the curved final shape (this would be a simple half cylinder), unbend, cut the profile to match your flat pattern, then bend back. Working with sheet metal my strong preference is to model the final bent part then flatten it rather than starting with the flat and trying to bend it to obtain the final part.

Alternatively, you can sketch your flat and add a bend at one edge selecting to the end of surface, but I don't like working that way.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:TrainStopper)

I could go the opposite route. However, I am interested in how it can be done from flat. Thanks.

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Try using the "Bend to end of surface" option in the bend tool:

bend_from_flat.png

I had to use two bends (bent the left and right side up from the centerline) to get the full form.  There might be a better way to do this with just a single bend.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:psobejko)

It's been so long since I have done real sheetmetal work, nothing in Creo looks familiar.

Used to you had 3 options, bend to the right, left and bend middle (in other words, the bend centerline).

Has that gone away?

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:StephenW)

It's all there. But....not as you left it. LOL. Thanks.

wfalco
15-Moonstone

I was trying the "Bend to end of surface" and could not figure how to get the radius in it. let me try again. Thanks!

wfalco
15-Moonstone

I got it. I got confused by the box to enter radius.

This has to be done with 2 bend features right? I thought maybe I can do both...but...its not working out. So I made 2 bends and its looking pretty good!

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Thanks Paul! It's a beeeuute!HOOD.PNG

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Oh the bend radius specified is probably correct. Just a quick look at it and the form to flat calculation was very close...it all depends on operations and material.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:StephenW)

hmmm. thanks.

Top Tags