cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Break out all instances from a family table??

AjitSingh
1-Newbie

Break out all instances from a family table??

I am looking for the best way to break out all the instances from a family table such that they become stand-alone parts.

One way I found in a TPI is -

* Open the generic in session
* Open the instance in session
* Activate generic, remove the instance from the family table
* Save and checkin the instance (note that it is no longer family table driven)

Have not tried the above yet.
Has anyone tried that ?
If the instance is used in multiple assemblies - does breaking it away from the family table cause any assembly retrieval failures?

Any comments feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ajit

Ajit Singh | Sr. Engineer | Akron Brass Company | 343 Venture Blvd, Wooster OH, 44691 | Ph: (330)287-7156 | Fax: (330) 287-7134|

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

I have done this and it works for Wildfire 4.0 and higher. If you try this in Wildfire 3 or lower you will have to reassemble the parts where they are used.

If you are using Intralink, you should go back and purge the older files so that no one will open an as stored configuration. You can get into trouble if someone does that. In PDMLink, the purge does not work so well and you may not be able to purge.

Ron Grabau

I've done this way back as far as rev 15. I never had to reassemble parts.

David Haigh

I use that method all the time.

A couple of years ago I had a ticket with PTC verifying this works and
causes no problems. Your assemblies will be fine as long as you remember
to save/check in what is no longer an instance.

dgallup
4-Participant
(To:AjitSingh)

Well, don't use that outside of a PTC PDM environment. I was pretty sure it would not work but I just verified it in WF4.

Can not recreate instance armature_g_inj_9127-103a_asm.
'G:\solid\9127\trash\armature_g_inj_9127-103a_asm<armature_g_inj_9127-003_generic>.prt.3' cannot be retrieved.
Can not retrieve model ARMATURE_G_INJ_9127-103A_ASM<armature_g_inj_9127-003_generic>.
Failed to replace member ARMATURE_G_INJ_9127-103A_ASM<armature_g_inj_9127-003_generic> (M17), ARM_ASM_G_INJ_9127-031A.

In Reply to Don Senchuk:

I use that method all the time.

A couple of years ago I had a ticket with PTC verifying this works and
causes no problems. Your assemblies will be fine as long as you remember
to save/check in what is no longer an instance.

Yeah, I wasn't specific enough that it works when using Windchill PDMLink.

To get it to work outside of a PDM environment, you'd have to have every assembly that uses that particular instance in session before you break it out of the family table. Then, once you break it out, regen and save each of those assemblies and it should work. Not really practical, so I'm not sure I'd count that as a real solution if you attempting it outside of Windchill.

In Reply to David Gallup:

Well, don't use that outside of a PTC PDM environment. I was pretty sure it would not work but I just verified it in WF4.

Can not recreate instance armature_g_inj_9127-103a_asm.
'G:\solid\9127\trash\armature_g_inj_9127-103a_asm<armature_g_inj_9127-003_generic>.prt.3' cannot be retrieved.
Can not retrieve model ARMATURE_G_INJ_9127-103A_ASM<armature_g_inj_9127-003_generic>.
Failed to replace member ARMATURE_G_INJ_9127-103A_ASM<armature_g_inj_9127-003_generic> (M17), ARM_ASM_G_INJ_9127-031A.

PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

There is a config option related to this that might help: try_noninst_on_fail YES

At least in Wildfire 4.0, not sure about other versions.

-marc
CAD / PLM Systems Manager

dgallup
4-Participant
(To:AjitSingh)

That helps:

[1]Can not recreate instance armature_g_inj_9127-103a_asm.

[1]'G:\solid\9127\trash\armature_g_inj_9127-103a_asm<armature_g_inj_912<br/>7-003_generic>.prt.2' cannot be retrieved.

[1]Can not retrieve model
ARMATURE_G_INJ_9127-103A_ASM<armature_g_inj_9127-003_generic>.

[1]Per special config opt, non-instance model
ARMATURE_G_INJ_9127-103A_ASM being used for comp id 17. Assem
ARM_ASM_G_INJ_9127-031A should be resaved!!!

Regards

David R Gallup
Design Engineer

Top Tags