cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

CAD software for metal stamping company

CAD_user
13-Aquamarine

CAD software for metal stamping company

Hello,
I need some help from all of you.

I'm, with some friends, creating a new company, where we will develop metal stamping tooling (progressive and transfer dies). We are evaluating the needed softwares, and the most proper ones from our job.
Today in the company that we all still work, we use NX and CATIA (I'm a CATIA user). But as far as we have noticed, CATIA and NX are truly expensive softwares, and we need to ponder what to use for our new company.

What we are evaluating.
For simulation we had chosen autoform (that's closed)

For cad we have several possible solutions.
CATIA -> Not much probable, due to price
NX -> Not much probable, due to price
Creo -> interesting choice, but there is some lacks. To create metal stamping layouts, determine the pre cuts, make some quick analysis to metal stamped parts, there is not enough good tools. But for modeling and general surfacing, looks really powerful. Price looks reasonable.
Cimatron -> Very nice to determine the pre cuts, make some quick analysis to metal stamped parts. For 3d modeling there is plenty of libraries for metal stamping tools, But we don't know much about their capabilities to Draw. Price we still don't know.
ZW3D ->Very nice to determine the pre cuts, make some quick analysis to metal stamped parts. Interesting modeling options. Very low market share. Really interesting price
VISI ->Very good to determine the pre cuts, make some quick analysis to metal stamped parts. Interesting morphing capabilities to prevent spring back. Looks good also in surfacing and in general preparation of parts surfaces. It doesn't work with individual parts, it's parametric philosophy it's to limited. Price we still don't know.
SolidWorks -> we have tested it and there is a few things that we have disliked it, so it's not in the equation.
SolidEdge -> we have tested it and there is a few things that we have disliked it, so it's not in the equation.
Autodesk Inventor -> we have tested it and there is a few things that we have disliked it, so it's not in the equation.

Looking to our resarch, there is not a software that can provides a powerful choice for every area that we will need. So we are open to have 2 softwares for diferent needs.

For example:
Visi + Cre
Visi + Cimatron.

What do you know about these softwares, and their capabilities for this type of work?
Do you know any other softwares that can fulfill our needs?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:CAD_user)

If your new company is only developing the stamping tooling, do you have prospective customers to supply the parts and do you have a company contracted to use your tooling to stamp the parts? Are you manufacturing the tooling you design or subcontracting the machine work?

One thing to consider is the CAD package of your customers. How much translation do you want to be doing to bring in their models to your system. If you are not on their system of choice, will they provide STEP models for you to import. NX and Creo have builtin translators, for an extra charge, so you can read native files from other CAD systems.

CAD_user
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenLoosli)

For now, we will only concentrate to develop the design of the tools. Later we will analyse to expand our business and mill, assemble and make the try outs. ou tools.

From what we have been discussing with our potential costumers, we can provide them a STP file.

Yes Creo, NX, Cimatron (Not for all of file types), ZW3D, are able to open files from other softwares.

erine
12-Amethyst

For what it's worth, I'm a draftsman for one of the (if not "the") largest tool and die companies in the world. Creo is our primary CAD software, but we also use AutoCAD for legacy files.

Creo 4.0 / M060
CAD_user
13-Aquamarine
(To:erine)

Can you name the company?

And for blank generation, springback, formability... What do you use?

The general templates (Standard parts, for ex: Gas springs, Guide pillars, guide bushes... from  Fibro, strack, misumi...) What do you have? Did your company invested on created those components, or do you have any thing were you can arrage those components?

six10
4-Participant

You have now made multiple threads about this topic on the forum, and you have received a good reply in the other one. I can also see from your questions you dont have a lot of experience. Let me sum it up for you:

SW or Creo, both are plenty capable for die design on their own-without add-ons. There are specific add-ons for each, Logopress for SW and PDX for Creo.

Now, if you are a long term user of Creo, than stick with Creo. If you are a long term user of SW, than stick with SW, duh. If you havent used any of them, than go with SW. Because  Logopress has the fantastic capabilities for unbending, flattening and making a blank. You import your .stp or. igs and within minutes you can get a blank for relativly complex part. The down side of this addon is the price- it is very expensive.

PDX I wasnt impressed with.But I also dont use EMX for molds, so maybe thats just me. I think Creo has enough capabilities on its own, so there really is no need for addons.

But here's the thing. If you cant make design without the addons, you're really not ready to do die designs anyhow. And how everybody does general templates for standard parts is like this: you model them. You take the catalogue and start working on family tables in Creo. Or configurations in SW.

CAD_user
13-Aquamarine
(To:six10)

You are right, I don't have much experience with creo. My experience in die design, is with catia and nx. But they are so expensive and for having sheet metal, are even more expensive. I'm looking for creo because it's really good in modeling. Probably as good as catia and nx, and has a better price than both. Sw I used it before, and I know that's a few steps below than creo.

At the moment my concerns about creo
-don't know how good is the j link macro programming. Has crew the capability to record macros in this language

-has crew in pdx or other the standard components from fibro, hasco, strack?
-I didn't found a way of how to insert the holes from one part in assembly. When the first part that contains holes, or pockets are placed in several places in assemblies, how we can create those holes or pockets. Do we need to create those features one by one for each part, or there is a way to create all the need features to all the assembled parts?
six10
4-Participant

1. With macros I dont have experience, so I cannot help you with

2. Both have a library of standard elements, with option of adding them or making your own. As far as i remember, Logopress has way bigger library thou, but it comes at a price. I sure wouldnt't buy the whole package, but only unbending/flatteting module  (you can buy diffrent modules-unbending, strip, die design...do your research). I wouldnt worry about standard elements, I would be thinking more about the making of the blank and strip.

3. There are many approaches for making features from part level to assembly level and vice versa, you need to be more specific in what you want to accomplish.

I was never trained by PTC and neither were my coworkers. What we have, is a reference skeleton based parametric die that contains all the standard parts based on family tables. This was all modelled by us, and we are upgrading the assembly as we go.  All the main features are already made inside the parts, so it is only a matter of supressing/unsupressing and changing values and references. It works well for us.

CAD_user
13-Aquamarine

Imagine that you insert 4 guide pillars in your die. Today in catia, I have a family table, that controls the dimensions of the several guide pillars that are provided by fibro. But that family table, also controls a multi body features that when I insert those parts in assembly, I only need to copy those bodies to the plate and remove them, or add them(if it's a cast). I know that creo don't have multi body capabilities. So in creo, how can I have those features in my templates? Do I have the need to create the features to locate the guide pillars, one by one, or can I have in my template something to recreate those features for all of the 4 guide pillars?
six10
4-Participant

- You simply assemble your pillar, than you make a cutout from all the plates with this pillar-->component/compnent operations/cutout. I probably dont need to tell you that is a bad idea.

- A little better solution would be to extrude a surface of the diameter of your pillar in the skeleton part. Than you activate each part you need to make a hole in (ie plates) and use solidify feature.

- Far better solution is to make a sketch in skeleton part with points (ie coordinates of the pillar position). You also make an axis on the first point of this sketch. Now pattern can be used for features and mates.

You just activate the plate,use feature HOLE, click on the axis in skeleton and perpendicular surface on the plate. Than you click pattern/by sketch and click on the sketch with points. Now you can make multi-diamater holes with threads or clearance holes for punches and bushings all in a couple of clicks. You can change the number of pillars from 4 to 40 by just adding the points in the skecth in skeleton. Just click refresh, and all the pillars and holes on all the plates will be added in your assembly-because you referenced the same sketch and used pattern.

CAD_user
13-Aquamarine

That looks great. And about threaded holes. Do we need to replicate them part by part?

Still regarding the pockets. I have some clients that want those pockets with some specific colors. When we make the solidify feature, is there any possibility to have some specific color to the final faces of the pockets. My idea is not paint them after solidify feature, is if it is possible to do it automatically with the surfaces colors
six10
4-Participant

You can use UDF (user defined feature). These are custom features, that you can save and use at will, for example: 40 diamter hole 15 mm deep with M8 thread. You save this hole as UDF, and you can use it than as a regular hole (feature), so you dont have to insert values everytime.

When using solidify feature, the faces of the cutout will be the same color as was the surface that was used to solidify. So you could have multiple surfaces of diffrent colors to achive diffrent color pockets.

CAD_user
13-Aquamarine

Is there any option in creo like the assembly hole in solidworks?
ndodelova
4-Participant

Did you check the solution suite ProgressivePower running on PTC's Creo Elements/Direct ?
http://www.progressive-power.com/

CAD_user
13-Aquamarine
(To:ndodelova)

Yes I did.

But our parts are more complex than bending. So it would be difficult to use this solution.

ndodelova
4-Participant

which kind of parts are you producing ? Do you have maybe some images ? 

mechengineer31
5-Regular Member

Visi+ Cre

VISI Modelling is the foundation of all VISI products and provides a robust and powerful solid and surface modelling system based around the industry standard Parasolid® kernel. Combined with Hexagon’s surface technology, model analysis and 2D design, VISI Modelling offers complete flexibility to construct, edit or repair the most complex 3D data. Features at a glance: • Easy to learn intuitive interface • Extensive CAD interfaces • Industry standard Parasolid® kernel • Combined wireframe, solid & surface modelling • Solid & surface boolean operations • Surface repair & analysis • Edge tolerance manipulation • Powerful blending • Intelligent model deformation • Fast rendering & texture mapping • Mechanical curve construction • Associative tool detailing • Automatic B.O.M. creation Extensive range of CAD interfaces. VISI can work directly with Parasolid, IGES, CATIA, Creo, UG-NX, STEP, Solid Works, Solid Edge, Inventor, ACIS, DXF, DWG, JT Open, STL and VDA files. The extensive range of translators ensures that users can work with data from almost any supplier. The ability to skip corrupt records during the import process provides a platform from where the most inconsistent data can be managed. Very large files can be handled with ease and companies working with complex designs will benefit from the ease with which their customer’s CAD data can be manipulated. True hybrid modelling. VISI provides a dynamic structure from where it is possible to work with either solid, surface, wireframe or a combination of all three without any restrictions. Solid modelling has become a fundamental cornerstone of design but is often limited to prismatic or basic geometry. Solid modelling commands include boolean technology such as unite, subtract, extrude, revolve, sweep, cavity, intersect and hollow. Surfacing technology however provides a different set to tools and techniques for more organic, free-form geometry creation. Surface modelling functions include ruled, lofted, drive, sweep, n-sided patch, drape, tangent, draft, revolved and piped surfaces. These modelling commands combined with advanced surface editing make it easy to heal imported geometry or construct the most complex 3D data. Advanced Modelling - Deformation. Advanced Modelling provides technology that will benefit all users in every industry sector. The Advanced Modelling tools are capable of deforming geometry while maintaining model integrity and holding curvature up to G4 constraints - This is particularly important for parts of high gloss (black, white, chrome) or that have aerodynamic requirements. Model editing includes bending, twisting, stretching and deformation, which allows the CAD operator to define the start and end geometrical conditions to drive any model change. Practical applications include springback for sheetmetal, product design changes and geometry healing. Kinematic Simulation. The kinematic options include constraints to simulate the physical movements of gears, gear racks and rails. The motion study simulation tools allow the user to define timelines which control the start & end movement cycles for various groups of components. The physical interaction of model geometry can be detected and the results of complex mechanisms validated - ideal when checking for potential collisions with slides, cams and lifters. Surface repair and editing. Small gaps between surfaces on imported models can be automatically healed preventing the time consuming process of rebuilding very small surface patches. Where surfaces are corrupt or missing VISI will automatically create the edge curve geometry making it easy to rebuild new faces using the comprehensive surfacing suite. To ensure the new surfaces are within tolerance, the new and the old surfaces can be compared to check for min/max distance and curvature deviation. Closing a surface model to produce a solid body eliminates construction problems later in the design process and immediately brings the benefits of solid modelling to the user. The ability to seamlessly switch between solid and surface technology provides unlimited freedom, ensuring the user can work with difficult CAD data. Powerful blending. Constant radius, variable radius, disc, hyperbolic and elliptical blends can be constructed directly onto a solid model. Blends can be propagated along tangent edges to quickly sweep across a component. For very complex blending conditions or when working with inconsistent data, blend faces can be constructed as surfaces in an untrimmed state providing greater flexibility. Trimming is easy using either wireframe curves, edge geometry or existing faces. Full range of 3D curves and split line curves. Create a theoretical split line curve or construct 3D curves including iso-parametric, cross section, helix, ellipse, spiral, hyperbolic and other mechanical curves. Advanced curve editing provides the ability to force tangency / periodicity, move control points, join or extend curves. Combined curve reprocessing allows multiple command combinations to greatly simplify the process of creating high quality curve geometry for surface construction, trimming or machining. Ease of use. Simple menu and icon commands with context sensitive on line help make it quick and easy to start using VISI. Dynamic rotation, zoom and pan, together with programmable function keys and mouse buttons help speed up the operation of the software. Unlimited undo and redo operations with user definable bookmarks enable the designer to move backwards and forwards throughout the design process. Multi layer and multi origin control with user definable color pallets and line styles makes it easy to review, create and work with very complex designs. All information is stored in a single file providing easy access and reducing the burden of data management. Managing one session of the software with all the components available for editing at the same time provides much greater flexibility. Super fast rendering, texture mapping and dynamic sectioning make it easy to visualize CAD files and large assemblies. Automatic creation of 2D views. A complete set of 2D detailed drawings can be generated directly from the 3D model. This includes fully editable 2D and isometric sections views, automatic dimensioning and hole type and position tables. Individual details can be created from any component in the assembly and displayed as a mixture of 3D rendered and 2D drawings. Any standard catalogue component will have the correct detail representation within a section view. A change in the 3D model will result in a modification to the 2D view along with any fully associative dimensions. Parts list table items and their respective balloon references can be added to the drawing using dedicated assembly management tools. Manufacturing modules. All the VISI applications run in one easy to use environment with knowledge based modules available for mold tool and progressive die design. Once the tool design is complete, machining of plates can be completed using feature recognition; drilled hole features and apertures are automatically selected with the correct drilling cycles and 2D milling routines applied. For 3D forms, mold cavities or forming stages on a progressive die, VISI Machining will create the toolpaths directly on the model incorporating conventional, high speed and 5 axis toolpaths. Keeping the model within the same product environment throughout the entire project, from design to manufacture will guarantee data consistency and greatly smooth the design process. Due to the integrated nature of VISI, manufacturing of individual plates can be completed using feature recognition. Drilled hole features and apertures are automatically selected with the correct drilling cycles and 2D milling routines applied. For more complex forms VISI Machining can be used to generate both conventional and HSM cutting toolpaths. Complex punch apertures and the corresponding solid punches are easily manufactured with seamless integration to Wire EDM.

Top Tags