cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Can I pattern with a variable item?

jjonathan
1-Newbie

Can I pattern with a variable item?

Hi,

I've got a framework consisting of a sketch that is basically a triangle. 2 of the sides are controlled by locked dimensions, the 3rd has a weak dimension - this is the the variable feature.

This sketch is patterned about an array of points using a cordinate system and an axis as references, which creates my framework. As the sketch is patterned, the angle between the first 2 edges changes, thereby lengthening and shortening the 3rd edge. This part works fine.....

I have part which has a very similar sketch that I have assembled to the first instance of the pattern. The matching 3rd edge of the triangle has also been set as a variable feature, the intention being that I could pattern the part using the reference function and the sketches would match. Before making them variable I set a relation to link the 2 3rd edges but when I patterned the part its sketch didn't vary. So I then tried the variable feature and I had the same issue. The only way I've found to get it to work so far is to repeat the part for each instance, then go in and reselect the edge i want it to copy, repeat this again (don't know why i have to select it twice) then it is happy. Tedious doesn't begin to describe it...

I'm sure thre has to be a better way to do this but I've tried everything I can think of. All the other methods I've tried have apparently assembled and patterned correctly, but when I've investigated the model closely it has aligned the axes but not the coordinate systems, despite the green light. I've assembled using Mechanism constraints (Cylinder and General.)

In my mind, as the part is assembled to the first sketch by the 2 fixed edges if one moves so should the other, so it should pattern ok. Or, there should be a way to pick the first instance of the variable edge and tell it to vary it's length for each instance of the assembled part. However, I can't work out how or if this is possible and I'm rapidly losing my hair trying.

Can anybody help please?

I've attached a picture of the framework with the variable edge selected which hopefully helps clarify what I'm doing.

Thanks!!!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags