cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Can light source positions be parameterized?

dcokin
13-Aquamarine

Can light source positions be parameterized?

I believe the answer is "no" (which is crazy considering that parametrics is in the name of the company), but would love to be proven wrong.

I'm working on a spacecraft orbit visualization study, where time advances one step with each regeneration.  Spacecraft moves around the earth, solar arrays track the sun.  If I ever wanted to create a fully rendered animation of this, sure would be slick if I could lock a distant light source to the position of a CSYS, or control it via relations.  I've been poking around, and this doesn't seem possible.

EDIT: also add to my wishlist the ability to parametrically rotate the "room".  I made a room to represent the background stars, and this ought to complete one revolution a day, or a year, depending on what frame of reference I'm using...

And I'd like settings to have only ambient light effect the room; no other lights, and no shadows or reflections.  I'm seeing the earth mirrored off the background stars, and bright spots where the lights hit; LOL.

EDIT2:  I suppose what might work is:

• Create a point where I want the light to be
  • Analyze the position of that point to create parameters.
  • Somehow, programmatically compose a *.dlg file (plaintext) that specifies all the lights, with one of them placed in the analyzed position
  • Import that *.dlg file with a mapkey.

Oy!  Beyond my expertise.  No idea how to automate composing/modifying such a .dlg file; I presume this would need to involve some tool outside of Creo, such as AutoIT, AutoHotkey, JavaScript, etc.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags