cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Can there be independent features with Family Tables?

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Can there be independent features with Family Tables?

I am creating a couple parts off of a family table.

In one of these parts there is a feature which if done to the generic it would cause a failure.

Apparently it is not possible to turn off features in the generic model which is what I would like to do.

Also, in what I've seen it appears that even if you are in one of the open (non generic) instances in the family table you can't add on features without it populating to the generic model.

Is there a way to add independent features to one of the children of the generic model?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:pimm)

Yes, you can simply suppress features in the model tree of the generic and then have them resumed in selected instances. You don't control the generic from the family table, rather you control it right in the model.

unickque
1-Newbie

All the features in the family table must be present in the generic part.

The way to "turn off" features is done by "suppress"ing of features.

Right click on the feature to find the suppress option.

The feature is still present in the model, just not used anymore.

Change your model tree view settings to display suppressed features.

"Resume" is the opposite of suppress.

The family table is basically a list of dimensions to change and features to suppress/resume.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to add a feature to an instance and not have it show up in the generic. It will be suppressed in the generic. The only thing I do not like is that the item alway appears at the end of the family table and if you do not want to have it there you have to column by column swap it until you have it where you want it to logically be.

pimm
14-Alexandrite

In one of the instances I went through the motions of adding on the features which I knew wouldn't work in the Generic. I was going to suppress the failed features in the Generic model.

To my surprise this didn't tilt the Generic model. The Generic model placed the added features to the family table as a Yes No feature marked "N". Up to this point I didn't believe that you could add features to the end of an instance without it being populated in the generic model tree. I didn't think the Generic model could have "No" features.

This ends up being exactly what I needed but I am confused with how this is different to what the "normal" behavior seems to be with adding features to the end.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Technically it is in the generic model, it is just suppressed since you didn't add it at the generic level.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Dale: That would describe what I am seeing. It's just interesting that it actually puts corresponding "N's" in the generic row.

Family Tables appear to be great in what you can do, but there will be a learning curve in the correct application.

Top Tags