cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Changing unit on a part that's an imported IGES

KrisR
1-Newbie

Changing unit on a part that's an imported IGES

Is there a way to do this?

I imported the iges and saved as a Pro part, but cannot seem to change units. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks....and good morning! TGIF!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member
(To:KrisR)

You could bring an IGES into Pro-E either by going to File>Open and selecting the IGES file (you need to change the selection filter to All Files), or you can have a part already open and go to Insert>Shared Data>From File and then select yor IGES file.

I don't know that it will matter, but give either way a try and see if you have the same problem each time.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
JOHNQ
1-Newbie

Hi Kris,

Pending your PROE Version, In PROE Wildfire 5 you go to FILE / PROPERTIES / and then on top oof window you will see UNITS. To the right you will see CHANGE. Select the units you desire Earlier PROE Versions, Ver2 I believe you can find it in Setup/ UNITS.

Hello, Kris.

And in Creo 1.0 you should click File/Prepare/Model Properties/Materials/Units/Change.

Good luck!

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member
(To:JOHNQ)

I agree, and would add that this is the way you change units for pats in general, whether or not it's imported or native geometry.

When you change the units you will have an option to (1) Convert, as in 1" becomes 25.4mm or (2) Interpret, as in 1" becomes 1mm.

All,

I have tried John's method but it will not allow me to click the "Set" button when I click the new units I want to use. It is greyed out.

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

Is "Set" greyed out for all units in the list or just the one with red arrow next to it? If so, then you already have the units that you want. Forgive me if this is a silly question, but its possible that this is what has happened.

It is greyed out for all the units, unfortunately.

JOHNQ
1-Newbie

Maybe go thru the steps again by saving off your Original IGES to a PROE part.

Close and erase memory. OPEN the new Saved PROE Part, then do as Kevin and I said.

John

KrisR
1-Newbie
(To:JOHNQ)

I did this with two iges' this morning - one I was able to change the units and the other I wasn't. Strangeness.......

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

You could bring an IGES into Pro-E either by going to File>Open and selecting the IGES file (you need to change the selection filter to All Files), or you can have a part already open and go to Insert>Shared Data>From File and then select yor IGES file.

I don't know that it will matter, but give either way a try and see if you have the same problem each time.

Next time I have to do one I'll do the shared data route and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

Ahhhhh, don't you want to do it now and tell us if it works?

Just for you, Kevin......

As our start parts are set with the desired units, it came in with the correct units doing the shared data route.

I will most likely do it this way in the future.

JOHNQ
1-Newbie

I'll remember that if i run into prblems changing units on imported parts.

Thanks

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/38-1286-6327/drinks.gif

James62
10-Marble

Awesome... good to know this one

Two comments... neither of them helpful (fair warning in advance) and then one that might fix the problem:

(1) IGES... eeeew.

(2) SolidWorks could do this.

(3) Open the IGES file (before you import it) in a text editor. You can edit the HEADER section of an IGES file to change the units. You'll see a small chunk of text that will say 2hmm or 4hinch. This controls the units for the IGES file. This might allow you to change units even when something squirrelly within IGES or Pro/ENGINEER is failing to change them through normal methods.

And just a side note... I found this solution on the SolidWorks board. Apparently they've seen some issues with IGES file units, too.

Have a good Friday!

-Brian

1) Yeah, well, we can't control what parts we can download off vendor sites, unfortunately.

2) I KNOW it can!

3) Now that's helpful!

IGES are finicky - no way around that. Thanks for the tips!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I would never "open" a STEP or IGES file. ALWAYS create a new part using the start part, and "Insert, shared Data" as Kevin suggested. This way you get your units, datums, layers, parameters, views, relations, etc. Since for me, any imported file has been from a vendor, I have a unique start part for vendor items.

But, if you want to rescale AFTER the fact, go to: "Edit, Scale Model" and it will let you scale the model.

When receiving an IGES assy, can this be opened in our Pro start part or does it have to be opened in a start assembly?

You should be able to do either... provided the IGES model was of an assembly. I know it works this way with STEP. I see no reason why it wouldn't be this way for IGES. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Thanks!

-Brian

I tired to do an IGES assembly into our start part yesterday and had issues. It failed. Was wondereing if it was just me or "by design".

Top Tags