cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Clean Up Imported Assy

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Clean Up Imported Assy

Creo 2, M220

I recieved a STEP file from a vendor that I want to place in my assy.  It represents an assy of components and comes in as shuch, but I'd rather not pollute my client's Windchill database with all the extra parts.  However, if I import as a part, the components aren't positioned properly. 

I also tried importing as an assy, re-exporting as a STEP file and re-importing as a part with the same results.

Additionally the imported assy has datums all over way out in space, greatly enlarging the envelope of the assy unnecessarily.

Any tips for cleaning this up?  I could spend the time to go part by part and reposition the components to a logical CS and rebuilding the assy but that seems silly.  A shrinkwrap would work well, but there seems to be no way to create one that's not tied back to the original assy.

Other ideas?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:dgschaefer)

Set the hidden config option intf3d_in_as_part to yes.  This will bring in the assembly as a part but keep everything positioned correctly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Set the hidden config option intf3d_in_as_part to yes.  This will bring in the assembly as a part but keep everything positioned correctly.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:TomU)

Bingo, thanks!

--
LinkedIn
Chris3
20-Turquoise

Be aware that this option if left set always defaults an assembly to import as a part without notifying you if it is an assembly or a part.

Also the reason it is a hidden config option is because it can cause Creo to exit with more complicated assemblies.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:Chris3)

Thanks for the added info.  I set it for that session only.

--
LinkedIn
Top Tags