cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Color code parameter in Cable spool ?, how it is usefull in harness deisgn?

maheshkumar
1-Newbie

Color code parameter in Cable spool ?, how it is usefull in harness deisgn?

While creating a Wire/Cable there are some Parameters like Color Code... what is the use of this color code?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

One use would be in reporting (report table in a drawing).

I am not sure what the color code parameter is for, I do not have this. We have a parameter named 'Color'.

We use the Color of our spool in many places. We may show the color on the wire in the schematic, we may also show the color of our wire in a wire list that displays multiple parameters about the wire in Schematics. I also have my appearance file in Parametric setup with colors that have the same name as the color (BLK, BRN, RED, ORN, etc..) of my spools so that when we route our wires in Parametric the wires are colored accordingly. It is not possible to show stripped wires in Parametric, so when I have a color like WHIT/BLU I typically make the color blue in Parametric to match the stripe. We may also show the color of the wire in a From-To report in Parametric.

Color Code might be referring to the numerical identification code of that color. These are referenced in MIL-STD-681.

Hi Mahesh...

There are a great number of parameters available but not all of them actually "do" anything. COLOR_CODE is one. Some wire manufacturers give a color code for their wires. For example, one manufacturer might have a dash number for each different wire color they offer. This information is totally optional and has no bearing on the actual color of the physical wires in Creo. It's merely provided as a convenience to help, as Gunter pointed out, for reporting in tables on a drawing.

In fact, you can create any parameter you wish in Creo Schematics and/or Creo Cabling. If you wanted one called "MANUFACTURER_NAME", you could easily add it. See pages 3-9 of the attached draft copy of the NWF format guide I was writing some time ago. I never finished it but the information on wire spools is solid. Those pages attempt to explain what all the various parameters available in wire spools do for you. Most of them are optional and don't do much but help in reporting in tables but some, like COLOR, have an impact on the physical wires.

The bulletin is available elsewhere on PTC Community. I just added it here for your convenience.

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Mahesh Kumar

Top Tags