cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Colored DWG output leads to colored Print output

James62
10-Marble

Colored DWG output leads to colored Print output

Hello everyone,

I've made a Pro/E drawing in WF5.

Obr0052.jpg

Then I've exported my drawing to dwg leaving the same colors, using the default dxf_export.pro file. When I open it in BricsCAD v10 it looks all good.

Obr0053.jpg

Now I'm trying to print it from BricsCAD to all black lines using the right *.ctb template file. Printing in BricsCAD works the same like in AutoCAD. They both share the same printing templates I think (*.ctb files)

I've my printing template set up to print all white lines in bold black and the rest of the colors to print in thin black. When I print from any other dwg file that isn't exported from Pro/E I get what I desire. The only troublesome dwgs come from Pro/E and give me output that looks like on the following picture.

Obr0054.jpg

I think the problem is that Pro/E puts all the layers to AutoCAD layer called "0". If so does anyone know how to set up dxf_export.pro file so it doesn't export entities to zero layer?

If the AutoCAD layer zero isn't the problem then what could it be?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
James62
10-Marble
(To:James62)

Ok, I found the way how not to convert entities to zero AutoCAD layer. Simply set intf_out_layer config option to part_layer.

The print output from AutoCAD is still colored:

Fig0097.jpg

I was playing around with dxf_export.pro alot. Couldn't get to work the map_layer command. It doesn't influence the resulting DWG at all. I've used a help guide like this one:

http://ol.cadfamily.com/proewildfire%204.0/html/usascii/proe/interface/mapping_layers_and_line_styles.htm

and plenty of other ones but nothing seemed to work.

For those who don't know dxf_export.pro is a mapping template file you can create in order to export Pro/E drawing entities into DWG with a change you wish to make. Change line styles, names of layers, colors, fonts, etc.

Ok, more on topic. Here is one leg breaking way how to print dwgs created in Pro/E so you get all black lines:

http://www.synthx.com/tom/sy_tip_0010.htm

Another way is to use eDrawings for printing then you can get print looking like this:

Fig0096.jpg

None of those ways considers that the geometry lines should be print in bold. Various line thicknesses while printing can be obtained using eDrawings but that requires the dwg being having various thicknesses as well. Which is kind of silly way.

Also Pro/E makes pretty odd dimension setup in AutoCAD. When trying to add dimensions to the drawing in AutoCAD the following shows:

Fig0098.jpg

Fig0100.jpg

All in all it's possible to obtain pretty DWG from Pro/E. Not that the DWG is any usefull.

Unlike SW, Pro/E at least modifies the dimension value AutoCAD parametr, if scaled drawings are being exported to DWG.

So mistakes won't happen when measuring from the DWG.

Oh well. I am not gonna compare SW with Pro/E on this one. It's horrible too but in some other ways, as well as Catia.

Anyway it looks like I was beating a dead horse here. Can't even figure out how to put entities into AutoCAD layers named as I want. Lots of things about DWG export seem so odd.

Thank you in advance if you've got anything to add and care to share it.

Have a nice day all.

James62
10-Marble
(To:James62)

See the solution in this thread:

http://communities.ptc.com/message/164929

Top Tags