cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Component level parameters allowed in Assembly 3D note but part and (sub)assembly parameters are not

Thomas_Primosch
5-Regular Member

Component level parameters allowed in Assembly 3D note but part and (sub)assembly parameters are not

Let's say I want to reference a parameter from a lower level part or assembly directly in a 3D note. (I'm in Creo Parametric 9.0.4.0) 

I can only directly achieve this if the part is a bulk item.  For that scenario I would used <parameter>:FID_# where # is the feature ID of the bulk item. 

However, if my lower level "component" is a part or subassembly the above method does not work.  I also tried using <parameter>:SID# where SID# is the session ID.  This also does not return the lower level value in the note.  

According to technical support case 17184215 this is a limitation.  There is a work around in that in Relations one can create a parameter <parameter_test> and declare it equal to the lower level parameter using <parameter>:SID# and then call the assembly parameter in the 3D note by using the "&"  (i.e. &parameter_test).  However, this is obviously more work and can make for the need of a lot of "unnecessary" relations in the assembly.  With model based definition, referring to lower level product information is becoming more common in a 3D note

So my question is this, Why can one call a parameter for a bulk item in a 3D assembly level note but not a parameter for a part or (sub)assembly?  It would streamline the 3D note documentation process.  Is this an enhancement request for PTC?

1 REPLY 1

It's been a long-standing limitation. I don't know what the logic is behind it.

I've just used the technique you mention (make a parameter in the assembly, use the value from the component of interest, etc). Fortunately I only need to do this for a small number of situations, so it's not too troublesome.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags