cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Components highlighted in Model Tree

ClaudiuCraciun
6-Contributor

Components highlighted in Model Tree

Hi, I have some problems to see a component highlighted in model tree. Ex: I have a big assembly with components on multiple levels. I want to see where is a component selected in ProE desktop area (I want to be highlighted in model tree) Being on the second, third, etc level I'm not able to see this one selected in model tree. If I expand the entire model tree there will be thousand of components. Is it there a way when I select a component in desktop area just the root of this component to be expanded? Thx.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

You could right-click on the highlighted component in the desktop, and "Select parent". It will highlight the subassembly. If you are only one level deep, it will also highlight in your model tree. If you are nested deeper, repeatedly select the parent until the containing subassembly highlights in the model tree.

Try selecting the model you want highlighted and then select the Expand selected model only icon. If it isn't there you may need to add it from Tools>Customize Screen. Look under the Commands tab, Category is View, and Command is One (icon has three squares with an arrow to the left of them, top and bottom boxes are grey and the middle is white).

Claudiu- If you use the find function (the binocular icon) and go through and in the Look for location change it to Component. Then in the Attributes tab under the Rule selections pick Name (might be default). Now in the Criteria section for the Comparison field pick is equal to and finally in the value field type in the part you are looking for. You can use wildcards (*) if you want to look for more than one part with a similar name. Now you can pick the Find Now button. This will show in a window extended at the bottom of the Search Tool window all of the items that match you Value. you can then pick any of the files listed in the Item list (the list on the left) and it will highlite it in your model tree, no matter how far deep into an assembly it is. If the one you pick is not the one you were looking for (may have more than one of a particular model in the assembly) then pick through until you get the one you are looking for. Hope this helps. Dennis

i have had this happen even on the top level where the models wont highlight in the model tree and a pro/e reboot usually fixes that issue. or along with all the other excellent suggestions, u can also open the model in question along with the parent assembly in session n while in the model u can use info reference viewer and it'll show a parents tree and which assemblies it resides in. Carlos Diaz

Hi guys, thank you for the answers. I was thinking that there is a way that when I select a components this one will be highlited automatic in model tree. Having thousands of componets in model tree the model tree will be very long and my colleagues doesn't like this option to expand teh model tree. Also to use search tool they donel like it because you have to update the fileter, search and choose the component from the filtered field. Also selecting the parent of teh component (being 5 levels for example) thei have to select 5 times the perents and then going 5 levels down to the required part. I don'tknow what shuld I do. ProE give's you several option but my colleagues want to have one click to get this part in model tree. All the time they complain that proe is difficult and not a friendly software. Do you have these complains also from your colleagues or these complains are comming just from designers that came from 2D to 3D? CC

Not that they will implement it but you could put in an enhancement request to PTC.
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags