cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Composite Curves and DWG export

Peter1
1-Newbie

Composite Curves and DWG export

Hey all,

When I make some composite curves in creo and output a DWG, the composite curves are not longer composite/"joined".

Basically, I want to take elements from my Creo model/drawing and export them to be "joined" single elements, like you can make in Autocad.

Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks,

Peter

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Peter1)

Unfortunately not. You might be able to edit the output file to force it to become continuous, but you have very little control over how the export is generated. If there are circles, ellipses, or lines in the string, they will become this "primitive" in the definition.

Creo has no use for this capability since you have several ways to select contiguous strings. I suspect PTC lets you rely on other systems to be able to do the same once the feature is imported.

James62
10-Marble

Rhino can pretty much open a DWG file in such a way as it was exported, with no exploding or any sort of simplifying of imported entities.

If you can, post an example file.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Have you tried making your composite curves "approximate" rather than "exact"? Contrary to the terminology, the geometry is still exact, however the result is one curve entity in Creo rather than many entities in one feature.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Thanks Doug! I have tried this and yes using the "approximate" does join the curves in creo and when exported has more success in having joined primatives in the DWG. Heres the problem that i have found the DWG, exported as splines, opens up in Illustrator with some joined primatives but they are all Polylines with massive numbers of points.

Currently, I export the DWG and the splines come into Illustrator unjoined, but very few points. Unfortunatley, our designers need lower points AND joined primatives/splines.

So close!

Top Tags