cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Connecting Beams to Shell

sjohnstone
1-Newbie

Connecting Beams to Shell

Hi,

I am using Wildfire 4 and trying to create an assembly which is made of shells and beams. I am having trouble getting the two parts to attach.

Do I need to specify a connection (such as a Rigid Link) between 2 points on the respective parts?

When creating models with shells I have been able to align the components so the geometry automatically joins together but this approach does not seem to be working.

I've searched all over looking for people with similar problems but can't seem to find anything, if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. And I've checked the Help files in WF4 but as you know...

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cheers for the reply but I think I have just managed to fix it through various tests over the past few days. I've added a picture below and will explain it a little so it's here for others if they need help one day.

I have a series of vertical shells which are circumferential ribs in a structure. Going across the top of these ribs are 2 beams which go axially down the length of the structure.

To get the bottom beam to connect to the shell I had to make sure I split the beam up into sections where I desired connections (red circles, point names StartShort, Rib1, Rib2).

Initially I just made one long beam and it connected at the start & end, but modal analysis results showed it was not connected at the ribs and the typical 1st, 2nd.. mode shapes were seen.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Cheers for the reply but I think I have just managed to fix it through various tests over the past few days. I've added a picture below and will explain it a little so it's here for others if they need help one day.

I have a series of vertical shells which are circumferential ribs in a structure. Going across the top of these ribs are 2 beams which go axially down the length of the structure.

To get the bottom beam to connect to the shell I had to make sure I split the beam up into sections where I desired connections (red circles, point names StartShort, Rib1, Rib2).

Initially I just made one long beam and it connected at the start & end, but modal analysis results showed it was not connected at the ribs and the typical 1st, 2nd.. mode shapes were seen.

Capture.PNG

Top Tags