cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Converting PDF to DXF?

ptc-5358165
1-Newbie

Converting PDF to DXF?

Hey,

I've been given the task to try and find a way (free, is a must) of a way to convern pdf to a dxf. Reason being alot of suppliers are going to this method of file transfer vs sending the dxf. Any help would GREATLY be a appreicated!

Thanks

Dustin

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Ghostview + Ghostscript + pstoedit = PDF (vectors) to DXF.

There is a better description on this site, but that's the tool chain.

If they sent bitmaps, try Inkscape; I believe it has the ability to trace bitmaps and produce vector paths.

A while ago I was looking on the same problem. I didn't find to many freware application to handle the raster to vector conversion.

Here is the list of what I tested:

pstoedit - available on sourceforge.net. Is a command line toolwhich is great for automation. The resulting dxf file consisted mainly from a huge number of disconected blocks. To us it wasn't a usable option.

WinTopo - (wintopo.com). Is a windows based, graphical interface program that has a freeware version available. I can't import PDF's (big disatvantage). It does offer a number of options and settings that allow you to get a relatively clean dxf file

Inkscape - very popular on open source world but also available as a windows application. Is quite complex, has a lot of options and settings. Since this is a editing software you also have the option to "clean-up" the file before you export to dxf. Things like removing unwanted entities, connecting lines etc. this one gived us the best results but is not a straight forward process.

I'm sure there are other applications available but those are the ones that I tested.

When you mention disconnected blocks, were you reading the dxf into AutoCAD or similar?

When I used it I read the resulting DXF into a Pro/E drawing for cleanup.

PDF doesn't save primitives for geometry; everything is converted to curves - arcs, splines, whatever. The result will mostly require some attention.

The best use I made was for a computer motherboard with all its components and hundreds of pins. Converted well and was useable, but replacing the curve pieces with circles at the pins cut the clutter immensely.

If the reason for the DXF is to program CNC from, then editting is definitely going to be required.

I was trying to import in Pro/E.

By disconnected blocks I meant that all the arcs and curves were created from a lot of small entities of LINE type while I was hoping for polylines, or something similar.

I was expecting I'll have to edit the drawing but not at that level

Hello,

we are using Print2CAD.

It´s not free but it is a great tool.

Top Tags